five.

"never let me go."

──────

GENEVIEVE DELCOUR had always been kind.

When Genevieve was younger, she was known as the girl to help animals when they were stranded, to aid others in her neighborhood when needed, and to walk about the town at such a young age- with a kind, bright smile.

At first, her father expected Genevieve to grow to be a Hufflepuff witch, because there was never any doubt of whether or not she would be one. And although her mother had little to no idea of what that meant, she agreed with the small amount of knowledge she had on that world.

But Genevieve was also smart, and honest, and always, always loved to learn. She had this affixation with stars, and taught herself every name, every constellation she could from a very young age. Not to mention, a fascination with reading, potions, and all things that had to do with animals.

The day before her mother passed away, she had but one wish for Genevieve. To remain the way she was, to have courage, be kind, and good.

At first, that confused little Gen. She didn't understand the importance of it- especially if she already liked to be kind, and thought she was a fairly good child. Being only seven and a half, she took that statement very literally, and tried to look deeply into it- but even though she was smart, she was still young. But she listened, and she never once changed- nor did she want to.

She treated people with kindness, and always saw the good in people. Because to her, there was light in everything, even in the most dark, untouchable things.

So, when Genevieve was in her fourth year at the Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardy, she was finally hit with a reality check.

Not everyone had light in them.

And still, to this day, even as she had the worst year, and the worst summer of her life- where she spent most days locked in a room weeping, or drawing what she felt out onto hundreds of sheets of parchment- she still tried to find the light. She still thought everyone deserved a chance. Because if she believed people were dark, she'd likely
lose hope, and without hope- she was nothing.

──────

"I cant believe you made me agree to this." Emori muttered, tucking her hair behind her ear, before moving to clip in the golden hoop earrings she had.

"It'll be fun! When was the last time we went out with people other than ourselves and Cass?" Genevieve smiled, adjusting her hair a bit, and turning around in her chair, watching as the blonde frantically got herself together.

"Yeah maybe, unless it's some kind of trap and they're going to sacrifice us to-" She stopped herself, clearing her throat a bit. "Yeah I sound crazy."

Genevieve laughed, nodding a bit. "Yeah, you do."

Truth be told, it took quite a while for Gen to convince Emori to come with her. With Cassian, all it took was her to say she'd buy him ice cream, and he agreed. "I don't know- i've got a weird feeling."

Genevieve inhaled, turning to face her friend, who's eyes were wide with concern, her fingers intertwining together, whilst she blinked- a bit rapidly. She knew it was wrong to force her friend to go, so she didn't, and moved closer to her, putting both hands on her shoulders, and raising her eyebrows a bit. "Em, don't go if you're that nervous. It's okay, I won't judge." She kindly smiled, and gave her a reassuring nod.