eleven.

"we both drowned in the words we refused to say"

──────

OUTSIDE, it was cold, rainy to the point Genevieve wanted to go somewhere indoors to do this- but they couldn't find anywhere private. Not on such a short notice.

So, here they were. Where Cassian waved his wand and created a sort of shield around them big enough that they could move but also efficient. Genevieve gripped her sweater sleeves, watching as the Slytherins whom she'd never thought she'd speak to- let alone be trying to get back their missing friends with- set up a blanket and a few other things on the ground.

"Thank you, Cass." She said.

"Yeah, at least he's good for something." Octavia snapped, taking a seat down on the blanket and brushing her hair out of her face. She scrunched her nose, as if in a condescending way while staring at Cassian, who gave her an equally as annoyed look.

"Yeah. I'm good for a lot of other things as well Sweetheart." He said, shooting her a wink before sitting across from her, leaning back in an elbow and lifting a leg to bend. He was lounging. Which was typical of him.

"Sh!" Genevieve snapped, lightly tapping his knee.

"You're such a dick." Octavia mumbled under her breath, which only caused Cassian to shrug and sit back up again.

"Can we just get started?" Mattheo snapped, a sneer on his face as he looked at everyone.

"Yes, he's right. Let's just start." Genevieve nodded, opening up her book she had taken out of her bag and skipping to the page she had marked off. Everyone got quiet, which made her feel awkward, but she was just glad they weren't arguing.

"I basically have everything down pact. It's just that I need someone to practice on." Her voice was calm, collected, because she had to be, not because she wanted to be. "Anyone wanna volunteer?" She asked.

Mattheo immediately shook his head, not saying anything else. Genevieve took that as an immediate no, and she couldn't blame him. She didn't know if she'd want someone poking around her head either- not after everything she had been through. The most vulnerable parts of herself she kept secret. She intended to keep it that way. If they didn't already know, anyways.

She cleared her throat, and looked around as everyone gawked at each other, all of them clearly unsure of what to say or to do.

Eventually, Octavia rolled her eyes. "I'll do it."

Genevieve felt a huge relief lift off of her shoulders, Mattheo in the corner seemed to as well, immediately letting out a slight breath and lighting a cigarette. Cassian noticed he had taken one out, so he did himself too. Genevieve didn't mind the smell, and clearly neither did Octavia.

"Okay, now I don't know how this will work. Try not to resist me. You'll be able to tell someone is going into your mind. If you resist, it'll be painful. I really don't want to hurt you." She meant it, she really didn't want to. That is what bothered her most.

"Got it. Is there anything I should- do?"

Genevieve shook her head. "No. Nothing specifically, think about it, when Voldemort or your mother is reaching into your own mind- you can be doing anything."

Octavia gave her a nod, cracking her knuckles and adjusting herself where she sat. Genevieve could feel Mattheo's eyes boring into her. It made her even more nervous than she already was. So, she stole a glance in his direction, stunned to actually see him looking back. She had felt it, yes. But actually seeing it, seeing his eyes on hers- it made her heart jump out of her chest. He gave her a slight nod, as if encouraging her to continue. A smile, one ever so small and barely noticeable appeared on her face, and she turned to face Octavia again.