nine.

"tell me pretty little lies, i'll be yours and you'll be mine."
──────

GENEVIEVE STARED at the door, watching as the boy walked out and then blinking in disbelief. She immediately began the attempt to convince herself that the entire interaction they had wasn't strange, that it was normal for people who had just ran into each other.

She had tried to ease her mind, because she had told him she was going to help. She had told him she would become involved, and she feared there was no going back. It terrified her.

But nevertheless, Genevieve was a talented witch, whether or not she actually wanted to admit it to herself. And the truth was, she was sure she'd be able to master what he had asked of her by herself in no time. But that terrified her even more.

She gulped, trying to shove away how so very weak she felt.

The Ravenclaw checked the time on the clock in the corner of the tower, chewing on her bottom lip when she realized just how long it had been. Em was supposed to be here by now. Was she ditching her? It was impossible, Em wouldn't have done such a thing. Yet, even if she did, she didn't think she could blame her. Not after ignoring her for so long. Perhaps she had ruined another good thing in her life.

She had an aching in her stomach, one that screamed at her to just go back to her dorm, to shut the door and never come back out again. That way, she wouldn't have to deal with the embarrassment of her not showing.

But Gen waited anyways.

And waited, and waited. Until so much time had passed, she had no choice but to return to her dorm, her picnic basket in hand, and nearly all of the sweets she had brought in her stomach. Once she arrived at the entrance to her dormitory, she expected to open the door and see Em still asleep in her bed. But instead, she saw her bed crisply made, her things put away neatly, and the lamp at the side of her nightstand still on. She thought it was strange, but nonetheless she knew that Emori enjoyed sneaking out into the boys dorms, she enjoyed breaking rules. Gen? Not so much. Not too much, anyways.

Or maybe she just feared most of the boys in this tower.

Just as she set the basket on her windowsill, a knock erupted on the door. The fawn haired girl turned around, her eyes landing on Cassian in her doorway. "Hey Cass." She smiled, removing her jacket as she spoke.

"Hey." He answered, dryly, roughly.

"What's up?" She questioned as she sat on the edge of her bed, her eyes now landing on the shoes on her feet. She immediately began to untie them.

The boy moved to where she sat on the edge of his bed, he too, taking a seat. "What's wrong?" Genevieve immediately asked, pausing her actions and moving her sight back to Cassian. It was then that she realized his face was pale, filled with worry, and with beads of sweat trickling down his forehead. "Cass." Genevieve spoke sternly now, placing a hand on his and looking him in the eye. "What is it?"

"I haven't been able to find Emori."

Genevieve's eyes widened. "What?" She said, ripping her hand from his and immediately standing up. "What do you mean? I thought she- I don't- what?" Stammering, the girl ran a hand through her hair.

"I don't know. I hadn't heard from her since after she told me you were supposed to meet. Did she show up to the astronomy tower?"