Eight

Seven's POV

It was already dawn by the time we made it back and Mel was surprisingly awake and in the kitchen.

'What are you doing up so early?' I ask her as she gulps down a glass of water.

'Couldn't sleep. But the real question is, what were you doing with Alex all night?' She asks me, a mischievous smile tugging at her lips.

'Nothing. He followed me, then I thought I was being followed so we had to hide at a place I know.'

'Mmhmm. That's all?'

'Yeah, what else would we be doing? We barely get along.'

'Well, I don't know. First of all, Alex hasn't spent the night with any woman since then.'

'Since when?' I ask, now interested.

'Since Steph, his ex.'

'Why? What happened?'

'Um, I don't know if it's my place to tell.'

'Oh yeah. It's fine. I get it.'

Deep down, I was really curious about what happened between them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just came out of the shower with only a towel wrapped around me, when I hear a faint knock on the door.

'Hey, it's me.' Alex's voice says on the other side.

'Um yeah? What's up?' I ask as he walks into my room and sits on the bed.

He looks up and notices the way I'm dressed. His eyes go wide but he quickly recovers and clears his throat.

'Uh I can wait, you should- ' he pointed to my attire,' you know, get dressed?'

'Yeah. Just a minute.'

I hurriedly put on some clothes before walking out.

'So, what did you wanna talk about?' I ask, sitting on the couch opposite him.

'Oh it's just...' he pauses.

'Who were those people who tried to shoot you?'
'I have no idea.'

'You mean to tell me you were almost shot down by random people, while going down an isolated street in the middle of the night?'

'Well no, yeah..'

'Come on, Seven. We both know no one would randomly shoot you unless they have a motive. So who is it?'

'I already told you I don't know.' I say slightly irritated that he was pushing me to tell him.

'Look. I don't care if they chase you or whatever. But you're in my team now, so it's my responsibility, and you have to remember the other members are at stake here. So if there's anything you're not telling me, I suggest you tell me now.'

He was now standing and walking towards me.

'It has nothing to do with you! I will make sure it doesn't affect the team,' I say.  It kinda hurt when he said he doesn't care but again, why would he? I'm just a random ghost agent who recently joined his team.

'I want to know what you're doing, Seven. They found you once, they're gonna follow you again.'

'Why do you care?! I said I'll handle it!' I shout before standing and walking past him and getting my phone.

Before I turn the doorknob to go out, he grasps my wrists and pulls me back. I lose my balance and fall back but he catches me so that my back is now pressed to his front, with his hands on my waist. I can feel my breathing becoming faster and his breath was fanning my neck and shoulder.