Chapter Seventeen

She's hot. She can feel the heat pulsating around her like she fell asleep beneath the blazing sun. She stretches out her sleepy limbs and discovers an extra weight against her chest. She smiles, her eyes stretching open as well and drifting down to find a wild mess of raven locks wrapped around her body like ivy clinging desperately to old stone walls.

She sighs heavily, so utterly blissful and content in the moment because this is where Jennie usually ends up. This is where they both find peace, solace. Surprisingly, she feels Jennie's delicate fingers, tiptoeing up her abdomen which is something very new. Usually, Jennie's hand will rest on the mattress beside Lisa, never finding comfort upon Lisa's body. Jennie will only ever allow her head that opportunity, no other body part.

So, Lisa is clearly intrigued and slightly amused when she feels those sneaky fingertips dancing up her abdomen. When Jennie nears her sternum, she abruptly stops, her hand lifts up and she hovers above. She's hesitating, but Lisa hasn't the slightest clue as to what's going on in that genius little head of hers.

"What's wrong?" Lisa's groggy voice croaks out, provoking Jennie to jump in her own skin.

"Jesus, Lisa," she exhales roughly, craning her neck to meet curious eyes blinking back at her. "I thought you were asleep."

"I was. How long have you been up?"

"Not long at all. Maybe ten minutes."

Then their room is smothered by the most awkward silence to ever fall upon them. She's waiting for Jennie to open up and explain those dancing digits, but the brunette is obviously buzzing with a nervous energy that expresses how uneasy she is to speak up.

"Again, what's wrong?"

"No-nothing. It's nothing," Jennie hastily defends, but her stammering doesn't squash the disbelief in Lisa.

"Hey," she softly whispers, tucking her index finger beneath Jennie's chin and tilting her head up until their eyes lock. "I thought we tell each other everything?"

And she must have her best puppy eyes on display because Jennie sighs and relents. "I was thinking about...well, you always hide yourself from me when you're changing. I don't think you wore your bathing suit top all summer without a tank top over."

Lisa swallows the thick mass of emotions and insecurities bubbling up and sticking to the back of her throat. This is not what she was expecting.

"I-I'm...just insecure. That's all," she flatly reasons, shifting uncomfortably beneath Jennie's weight that suddenly feels like it's crushing her. "You should understand of all people."

Jennie maneuvers so she's no longer on top of Lisa's chest. Instead, she leans on her left elbow and peers down into those glossy doe eyes, glistening with self-doubt.

"I do understand. I hate my scar more than anything, but I have to live with it every day. I don't have the option of covering it up," she firmly argues, narrowing her eyes.

"But it's different."

"How is it different?" Jennie exasperates.

"It just...is."

"How?"

"Because yours is sexy!" She snaps, completely lost in the back and forth banter to stop herself from revealing too much. "God Jennie, that little scar is so damn sexy. Every time I see it, I think about how amazing you really are. That no matter what life has thrown at you, you still get up and power through every damn day. That scar," and she flushes crimson from the way her voice cracks, but she pushes through, reaching up between them and finally skimming her thumb against the deep indent. Jennie flinches at first, but only for a brief moment before she leans into the touch. "This scar, is evidence of your strength, your courage, your fight and bravery to take on the world and never back down. You may see it as some hideous scar that marked you for life, but I...I see an indent that makes you stand out from the rest. There are so many beautiful, flawless faces out there, but you are unique," Lisa tenderly vows, her eyes still wet and shining with adoration as her thumb caresses the scar over and over again. "This makes you a thousand times more beautiful."