CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Prefect Patrol

At eight o'clock on Friday evening I left Bridgett in the Slytherin common room and made my way up to Professor McGonagall's office. Every night I had been to take my potion with her watching had been the same as the last. She would sit at her desk grading papers with the beaker of wolfsbane potion on the desk in front of her, as well as a glass of water to chase it down with. Drinking the horrific tasting liquid never got any easier, but I did appreciate McGonagall offering me water since it helped it go down easier. I never spent more than five minutes in her office since she always looked busy, although she would ask me how I was doing, and I'd have to just lie and say I was completely fine.

This time was different though.

When I knocked on her office door and she invited me in, there was a tray of biscuits as well as a pot of tea in the centre of her desk. "Take a seat Mr Black," the elderly witch instructed me with a tight smile. I followed her instruction and sat down in the velvet upholstered seat opposite her. "Tea?" she asked, whilst I glared at the steaming blue potion in its glass cup.

"Yes please," I replied politely, before reaching for the potion and clamping two fingers down on my nose so I couldn't taste it as I swallowed.

Once I'd placed the empty beaker on the desk, Professor McGonagall handed me a small cup of tea, which I sipped at. It was a lot more effective at getting rid of the awful aftertaste than water was. "Biscuit?" she offered, gesturing to the tray in front of her.

"No thank you," I responded, although they did look quite appetising.

"Take a biscuit Black," she then instructed, a little sharply. I did as she said and thanked her after I'd taken my first bite. "Now tell me how you're feeling," she then said. I opened my mouth to give my response, but she talked once more, "and don't lie this time."

I bit my lip; I didn't like telling people how I was doing. It seemed so pointless.

"I'm struggling a little with the amount of work being set," I told her, "especially on the weeks before the full moon." McGonagall nodded her head.

"Your recent homework grades beg to differ," she reminded me, "lowest mark you've gotten so far is seventy percent, in Charms." I remembered doing that essay, it hadn't been too difficult, but I'd had to do it the morning after the last full moon when I wasn't feeling a hundred percent. I could only nod my head in agreement. There wasn't much I could say in response.

"You don't seem to be spending as much time with Miss Granger," the professor digressed, "even skipping your duties as a prefect when you are scheduled to patrol with her. Why is that?" She shifted the tray of biscuits closer to me now and glared at me until I took one and dipped it into my tea.

"I don't want to hurt her Professor," I confessed, "she's quite special." McGonagall nodded in understanding.

"Might I suggest talking it out?" She offered.

"Last time we talked properly I shouted at her, and I think she got upset," I replied, feeling a little ashamed of myself. I wasn't quite sure why I'd been so awful to Hermione Granger during the past couple of months. All I had wanted was some space, and I'd been so unkind in order to get it.

"I'm sure Miss Granger would forgive you," McGonagall smiled thinly, "but I think the only way you'll receive her forgiveness is if you attend your duties."

"Yes Professor," I nodded, finishing my tea and getting up from my chair as I sensed the conversation coming to an end.

When I reached the door to her office, McGonagall cleared her throat. I turned around and saw her staring at me with caring eyes. "And should Professor Umbridge give you another series of detentions you come let me know," she told me sternly. I nodded my head.