CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Wolfsbane

On the day of the full moon, I decided that I would go to the library in hopes of getting all of my homework and pre-reading completed in time for the following week. I wasn't surprised to see Hermione there; she was always there. Thankfully though, Luna was sat a couple desks away from her, and called me over with an airy greeting. "Hello Luna," I smiled, "got much work to do?" The blonde-haired girl nodded her head and began to list off all of the pieces of work she needed to do over the weekend.

"Did you see the gnomes this morning?" She asked me, "if only Professor Sprout would let me feed them, they must get so hungry when she kills all the slugs." I couldn't help but roll my eyes and chuckle at her.

Perhaps if she spent more time on her homework instead of reading The Quibbler and intervening with the creatures in the grounds, then she wouldn't have had so much work to do.

"I didn't see the gnomes this morning," I told her, "I've only just come up from breakfast."

"Oh, that's a shame," she sighed, "should I let you know next time I have every flavour beans so we can feed them together?" I just nodded my head unsurely, which made Luna smile.

Something I learned about Luna Lovegood, as we sat studying together, was that she was constantly moving. Her finger would not stop twirling a strand of hair which hung loosely over her ear, her foot tapped continuously on the wooden floor, and when she seemed to struggle, she put the nib of her quill to the corner of her lip resulting in a blue smear appearing there. It was quite entertaining to watch her work, but it was also incredibly distracting. I was far too accustomed to working alongside Hermione, who mainly stayed still and quiet, unless she was struggling and then she'd let out small huffs of frustration.

I could tell that Hermione Granger was stealing glances at Luna and I whilst she worked. I had ignored it for as long as I could, until eventually I turned my face so I could see her, and our eyes locked. Her chest rose as she breathed in and closed her books before walking up to us. "Luna, (Y/N)," Hermione smiled forcefully.

"Oh, hello," Luna replied, her eyes darting between the fifth year Gryffindor and me.

"Harry, Ron and I are holding a small meeting tomorrow in The Hog's Head," she then said quietly, "we're thinking of setting up some sort of society for Defence Against the Dark Arts."

"That sounds fun," Luna replied.

"I was just wondering if either of you would like to come," Hermione then added. Luna nodded her head gratefully. "(Y/N)?"

"I don't do DADA anymore," I replied, returning my attention back to the piece of parchment I had been writing on.

"It's not exclusively for Defence Against the Dark Arts students," she clarified.

"I won't be there Granger," I reiterated.

Hermione Granger frowned, said goodbye to Luna Lovegood, and returned to her desk. I watched on as she packed up her things and left the library. "Are you two still together?" Luna asked innocently.

"Not anymore," I answered.

"Oh, that's sad," she pouted, "I always thought the two of you were rather good together, ever since the second task."

Now I was reminiscing about Hermione kissing me the instant I had gotten out of the lake, and how she'd also slapped me in front of the whole school. It was a pleasant memory really. She'd been so happy to see me – and I her. But she was also frustrated that I'd given up the chance to win in order to help Fleur's little sister.

"People just drift apart don't they," I explained, even though Hermione and I hadn't really drifted apart. I'd forced her out of my life on purpose.