CHAPTER NINETEEN: December 1995

The last weekend before the Christmas Holidays was a Hogsmeade weekend. This meant that the castle was going to be empty, apart from the first and second years, and I'd be able to get most of my homework done in the library before going back home. Bridgett and I were just finishing our breakfast when Hermione Granger strolled over to our table. A few of the Slytherin students sitting around us scowled at her, but none of them dared say anything after what I'd done to Draco Malfoy at the start of term. Hermione looked a little uncomfortable being stared at as she stood beside Bridgett and me nervously; her fingers fidgeting with the hem of her jumper sleeve.

"You alright Granger?" I asked her cheerily, placing down my goblet of pumpkin juice and turning around so I could see her properly. She was wearing a heavy-looking pair of boots, and a purplish corduroy pinafore which surprisingly complemented her red jumper.

"I was just wondering if you were coming to Hogsmeade?" She smiled, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear. I shook my head.

"Got loads of work to do, and I don't fancy doing it over Christmas," I explained.

Hermione frowned, "come on Black!" She urged, "I didn't think you'd ever pass up an opportunity to visit The Three Broomsticks."

I let out a loud sigh and rolled my eyes, "fine." I noticed Bridgett smirking from the corner of my eye. "Are you coming Burke?"

"Nah, don't feel too well," she complained whilst rubbing her abdomen.

"What's wrong like?" I pushed. Bridgett and I hadn't been to Hogsmeade together since our fourth year. I'd been too busy practicing for the tournament during my fifth year, and I had yet to go in my sixth.

"Cramps," She replied, pouring herself a cup of tea, and reaching for a slice of fried toast.

"Cramps?" I questioned, "have you been exercising or something?"

"I think she means it's her time of the month," Hermione stated. I looked at the two girls with a perplexed expression.

"I'm on my period (Y/N)!" Bridgett remarked, "you know, 'time of the month'."

"Oh," I let out awkwardly, "ew." I couldn't help but display my disgust on my face.

"It's not disgusting!" Hermione scolded me, nudging me in the shoulder with her elbow from where she stood, "every girl gets it! It's perfectly normal!"

"Ah, right," I stuttered, "well, I hope you feel better soon." I told Bridget and she let out a quiet chuckle.

"Have a nice time you two," she wished, "I'll look after Steve."

Bridgett was obsessed with my cat. Whenever I entered the common room the two were bonding on the sofa.

The walk to Hogsmeade from the castle was cold, and I'd left my winter cloak at Mum's house so was left to wear the olive green one she'd sent to me before the first full moon of the year. "How was the moon the other night," Hermione questioned, her gloved hand intertwining with mine, "you weren't there for prefect duties last night."

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that," I apologised, "I just slept all night, but McGonagall left the fire on, and I accidentally burnt my paw." I took off my left glove to reveal the bandages wrapped around my hand. "Pomfrey wouldn't let me leave the hospital wing."

"Paw," Hermione wondered aloud.

"Well yeah," I replied, "I get four of them on the full moon, and a tail."

"Does it hurt?"

"Not when I've taken my potion, just a little uncomfortable," I described, "although the burns on my hand stung like hell."