CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Christmas Day

On Christmas morning I was awoken by Ginny Weasley knocking on my door. "Come on (Y/N)!" She pleaded from the other side, "we want to open our presents!" I sat up, stretching, and rubbing the dried sleep out of my eyes before brushing my teeth and dressing in the clothes from the day before; I'd shower and put some clean clothes on after breakfast. Mum had really outdone herself this year. The balustrades had shimmering green and red tinsel wrapped around them, a well-decorated Christmas tree had been put up in every room, and she'd been cooking gingerbread since the start of November which now meant that the whole house smelled festive; Grimmauld Place was beginning to feel like a home. Mum and the others had done a decent job of cleaning all the rooms.

"Merry Christmas (Y/N)," Ginny smiled once I finally exited my room. She was wearing an obnoxiously ugly sweater over her pyjamas.

"Merry Christmas," I returned, cradling the excited Steve in my arms as she jumped up and made herself comfortable.

We descended the stairs into the basement where people were already drinking Buck's Fizz and passing around wrapped gifts. My mum approached and smothered me in a tight hug. "Merry Christmas Bud," she wished, kissing my cheek, and then handing me a few wrapped parcels. I unwrapped them in front of her and found in the largest one a warm maroon cloak with a matching hat. The others just contained more clothes and chocolate.

"Thanks," I smiled up at her, fishing out the present underneath the tree that I had bought her only a month before. My wrapping skills were very poor, but I don't think she cared too much. Mum took the package out of my hands and tore away the paper like an over-excited toddler. When she finally uncovered the pointed, dark green, hat, she smiled intensely and put it on her head. I had bought her an almost identical hat about four years ago, and she never had it off of her head when she left the house, no matter how many muggles stared.

"You look like McGonagall!" Sirius called at her from the other end of the kitchen, earning him a sharp glare from my mother.

"I love it!" She assured me, "it'll match my work clothes!"

Mum and Mrs Weasley had decided to split up the jobs for the day, which meant Mum was allowed to make her traditional Christmas breakfast, and Mrs Weasley had full control over the dinner. Sirius, Mum, and I thoroughly enjoyed our croissants and pain au chocolats, but the Weasley's didn't look too thrilled. Ron didn't seem to know how to correctly cut open his pastries and ended up just scooping out a tablespoon of jam onto his plate in which he proceeded to dip them into; Fred and George must have took note of this method and were soon using it themselves. Harry tried his best, but the result of his attempt at the breakfast was a plateful of fine crumbs and a jammy knife.

After breakfast I showered and got dressed properly. Mum always wanted me to look my best on Christmas Day, as did Andromeda with Uncle Ted and Dora. At quarter to one I walked down the stairs to find the three of them walking through the door, greeting my mum who was looking rather youthful in a short emerald dress and black shawl. The Weasley's didn't seem to uphold this tradition of dressing well as they all opted for their individual Weasley jumpers. Sirius and Remus had made an effort though; Sirius looked rather dashing in smart trousers and a long-sleeved shirt and deep-green waistcoat, Remus appeared a little more casual in a smart shirt and jumper. Jumpers were the best at hiding scars; I knew this now. Although I hadn't obtained many, I still wore a jumper over my shirt to prevent the grooves of the scars and the colour showing through a shirt's shear fabric.

"(Y/N)!" Andromeda and Ted practically shrieked once they'd caught sight of me. Andromeda hadn't seen me since the last task, and Ted before that. Both of them rushed to my side and grasped me tightly within their arms.

"Gave us a real scare last summer!" Ted breathed out anxiously, "would've come and visited if Dora hadn't told us about all the protection on this place."