CHAPTER THIRTY: May 1996

A/N: I don't usually include trigger warnings because I'm afraid they'll cause spoilers for the chapter, but feel as though it's necessary here. I've had to change the rating of this book to mature as I mention the death of a child in this chapter. Had me a little choked up as I was writing it. 

On that happy note... Hope you enjoy. 

- Toby

Hermione's POV)

I didn't see much of (Y/N) after our first detention together. He'd sit at the Slytherin table during mealtimes, but he never lingered in the great hall. The only other time I'd see him was in detention, where every single member of Dumbledore's Army sat separated in neat rows, each writing lines which would appear as bloody scratches carved into our skin. I'd tried to catch him afterwards a few times, but he always sat in the back, furthest away from Professor Umbridge, so he was always gone by the time I'd exited the classroom.

Umbridge's lessons had gone from bad to worse in the weeks since she discovered the room of requirement. She thought it appropriate now to revisit Werewolves from our third year lesson with Professor Snape. She'd spew out hateful words and propaganda which had me frowning so hard I'd leave the lessons with a headache. Those of us who'd enjoyed Remus' lessons back in third year tended to roll their eyes at Umbridge's antagonistic lectures, but there were some who'd leave shuddering and spreading her harmful ideologies. I stayed away from them usually, it wasn't worth letting my defensiveness of (Y/N) Black get me into more trouble.

***

((Y/N)'s POV)

Everything was bleak once again.

When I wasn't in lessons or eating, I was in my dorm.

The knot had returned, and it wouldn't leave.

That was until one evening after dinner, when I was simply reading through some creature care notes and stuffing sweets into my mouth. It was going to be the full moon. The light nights were a blessing, since it meant that I could finish serving detention with that putrid pink woman before I needed to go take my last potion and head up the tower. At least she hadn't done anything hugely drastic just yet. Professor Snape had been able to smooth her over somewhat – explaining how we'd been containing it.

I'd just finished my fifth chocolate frog when Snape entered. "Mr Black," he said, "you're required." I folded up the parchment I was reading and stuffed it into my desk drawer before scratching Steve behind the ear and saying goodbye to her.

"Where are we going?" I asked him once we'd left the Slytherin common room. He simply put one slender white finger to his lips, indicating that I wasn't to speak.

I followed silently behind him, my mind racing with insane theories about where he was taking me. Perhaps the minister had arrived with a group of aurors to place me to the ministry's cells for the night. Or maybe he was leading me to Professor Umbridge's office to serve extra detentions. Thankfully, neither of these were true. He opened his office door and gestured to the chair opposite his desk, beside where Professor McGonagall was sitting. I nodded in her direction, recognising her attendance. Snape sat down in front of us, his patent leather chair puffing out trapped air as he made himself comfortable. "Am I here for my potion?" I asked, it seemed a little early.

"No, we have good news," McGonagall smiled. My eyes squinted as I looked between both sets of eyes. Nobody ever had good news nowadays. It was all just disappearances, murders, and lies.

"I doubt that," I muttered, slumping back in my chair. Professor McGonagall sat up simultaneously to me reclining back.

"Last night," Snape begun, ignoring my remark, "a memory charm was placed upon Professor Umbridge."