Prologue

The green grass contrasts with the dark blue of your school uniform, redness spreading across your skin while an itch settles on your thigh.

Sunlight shines from behind the leaves as Hanji's hand glides through your hair. Warmth fills your body in two ways, one from the bright light resting against your skin and the other it's not physical. Having her touching you feels like it could make even the hardest of icebergs melt.

"Y/N" A voice calls your name in the distance. You shift your eyes up, trying to see if the figure resting with you is the one calling out for you, but her lips do not move. You hear your name being called yet again.

Gasping for air, you sit up. Your body is drenched in sweat as you grab onto your shirt in an attempt to calm your racing heart down.

The brunette's hand touches your shoulder gently in an obvious attempt to provide support but with no such luck.

Paying close attention to the dirt on her face, you are sadly reminded of the truth about the world you live in, a world where zombies have taken over. In the distance, you can hear the beasts grunting, trying to limp over the heavy metal gates that protect you from the outside.

"Fuck." You mumble under your breath. The vision you had just now was nothing more than a feeble memory of what seemed to be too long ago.

"Are you alright?" Hanji asks, kneeling beside you, her hand shifting from your shoulder to your cheeks.

The faint light coming from the fire shines against her broken glasses. Bandages cover her left eye as a grim reminder of the day this hell on Earth started.

A strong smell of decomposing flesh and blood fills the air. Outside the decaying house you are staying in, you can hear them, the victims of the awful virus that spread around the globe faster than a wildfire.

"Yeah, I just had... a good dream, that's all" You shoot her a weak yet genuine smile. "Would you get me some water?"

She nods and, as she shifts trying to get up, you notice the frame of her gun sticking out of her belt. The fire's flames bring out the shine of the silver and you can't help but bite your lower lip.

When her eyes meet yours, she shakes her head. "I can't believe you would be turned on during an apocalypse."

"Hey, I had the hots for you since before all of this happened." You reply, shrugging your shoulders and, in response, she simply rolls her eyes.

Hanji hands you the water bottle and you make a point to touch her fingers while taking it. A blush spreads across her face and you whisper, "I love you."

Before she has the chance to reply, one of the infected comes through the door, its leg dragging behind its decaying body while its hand reaches for her shoulder. Your blood turns to ice for a second and you pat your sides to look for a weapon.

In the few seconds that you were distracted, a shadow stabs the zombie's head with a sharp knife and you can recognize the blade's red handle. A relieved sigh leaves your lungs as you finally feel like you can breath once again, knowing she is safe.

"Oi, four-eyes!" Levi says as he throws his backpack at Hanji's hand and you can hear the cans inside bumping against one another. "We found a gas station down the road."

"Anything useful?" You ask, your hands brushing against Hanji's waist belt before gently pulling her down, towards your thighs. She doesn't resist and, with a smile, she sits on your lap before checking the bag in her hands.

"Some food, hygiene supplies, basic stuff mostly." Erwin replies, carefully digging in his pocket for something, "We did find this!"

Excitedly, he pulls out a gun before beginning his explanation, "It's a .38 Taurus View revolver. Easily the smallest in the world!"