Chapter 5

At an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere

"Fuck!" Levi exclaims before shutting the hood of the car with all his strength. Black smoke comes out of the engine as he holds himself back not to kick the vehicle.

"I already said I'm sorry!" You say, hiding behind Hanji's figure, hoping that he won't come after you with a knife in his hand. Thankfully, all he does is shoot you a deadly glare.

An important detail you forgot to mention before leaving your parents' house was that your dad had been working on the minivan for weeks now, trying to figure out why the engine would overheat so easily. You simply assumed he had found the cause and fixed it. You were very much wrong.

Hanji's arms wrap around your waist, holding you close to her chest. It's more than enough to make you feel protected and safe, even if you know that Levi is mentally stabbing you numerous times.

The sun sets in the horizon and in the distance you can hear a horde coming towards you.

"We could sleep in the car." You suggest and Erwin shakes his head.

"I think those things will be all over us if we stay out here." He says, lacing both of his hands together and placing them behind his head before letting out a deep sigh.

You look around and your eyes land on a house a few feet away. For the looks of it, it seems like it has been abandoned for years. Most windows are broken and covered by a thick layer of dust and cardboards.

The door is crooked and you can tell it's been ripped off the hinges. The roof looks like it's about to collapse but, unfortunately, it's a risk you all will have to take.

"What about there?" You point and all faces turn over to the decaying building.

"Goddamnit, I can see the fucking dust from here." Levi exclaims, rubbing his temples.

"It's our best bet." Hanji says and he lets out a long sigh, wordlessly agreeing to the plan.

As the horde of zombies approaches, the four of you grab your bags and begin heading towards the house, always looking around to ensure the safety of the group.

When you take a step towards the entrance, your hand scrapes against the rusty metal of the gate and you yelp quietly. The warmth of your blood drips down your pinky and you curse yourself mentally for not being careful enough.

Hanji shoots you a worried look and you just shake your head, trying your best to ignore the pulsating pain that radiates through your arm.

When Erwin picks up the door and pulls it away, a cloud of dust blurs your vision and none of you can help but cough like your lives depend on it.

Quickly, you enter the building before the blonde man blocks the exit once again and with barely enough time to spare. You quiet down and begin listening to the grunts that come from outside, the sound of two dozen souls in desperate need for a meal.

You peak outside the broken window, trying not to touch the glass and you notice one of the creatures sticking its head through the metal bars of the gate, licking the mixture of blood and rust that you left behind.

Levi takes a quick look around the place, gliding his finger through a wooden table in the middle of the living room and leaving behind a perfectly straight line. He curls his hand into a fist and quickly places it in front of his mouth, audibly gagging.

"Levi, shut the fuck up." Hanji says, angrily looking at him and he rolls his eyes, gagging once again.

"Do I look like I'm in.." He says before another gag escapes his body, "control of this situation at all?"