(Two)

Rona walked into her room, took off her damp hoodie, and pulled a towel to dry her long wet hair then left her room to the kitchen after she was in her dry clean clothes. She didn't bother telling her family that she was home since they were never home.

Her mom and dad are always busy with their meetings, they don't get home until it's past Rona's bedtime. Her older sister is also busy being a trainee at a law firm. Her younger brother is always ditching and carpooling with his gang.

She is used to being alone.

She left the kitchen with her cup of warm honey milk and stood in front of the large family photo hung on the living room wall. It's a photo from her high school graduation day. She looked the happiest in that photo. Her long dark hair was dangling down her shoulders, reaching below her waist. Her brother was clinging to her right as a koala clings to a tree, and her sister was holding a bouquet of white roses to the left. Her parents were at the sides hugging their three kids.

"Should I cut it short?" She asked herself. "It's been ages since I got a haircut. But mom would kill me if I did it. Ugh! What's so unique in long hair anyways?"

She whined and then headed to her room. She placed her cup of milk on the nightstand and sneaked to her fluffy warm blanket. The warmness sent shivers down her spine. Rona pulled her phone and started scrolling her social media accounts as her eyes started getting heavy. She yawned then her head fell to the pillow and she fell to her sleep. She felt a hand tucking her hair gently. It must be her mother who just came back from work. Rona didn't bother opening her eyes and let the warm feeling drown her to sleep more deeply.

***

Sun?

Is the sun finally going to do her job?

Rona groaned as the sun attacked her eyes. Why is it so bright?

She opened her eyes while yawning loudly and stretching her slumped body. Then her eyes fell to the clock hung on the wall. "Holy shit! I'm late." She screamed.

She jumped to her feet and started running like Sonic the hedgehog. In fifteen minutes, she was running to the bus stop. Luckily, she didn't miss the bus. She sat at her usual seat by the window, admiring the sudden spring weather. It looked like it didn't ever rain that much. She even doubted if she was really drowned in the rain the day before.

The bus stopped at its usual stop where Rona would get off to go to university. She's in her second year of studying mass media at one of the best universities. Rona got off of the bus and was about to plug her earphone when she heard someone whistling from behind.

"Tsss. Hey?" The voice called.

She could easily recognize the voice even though she met him only once. She didn't look towards him. She didn't want to get involved with strangers.

"We meet again." The boy said as he moved closer to her. She plugged her earphones, set the volume to the full, and ignored the boy. "You are going to damage your eardrums badly." He said. "Believe me, that hurts a lot. You'll be hearing beeps the whole day. I hear beeps the whole day and it's irritating."

The boy kept walking next to Rona who didn't give a shit about his presence.

"You are a student here? I've always wanted to join this university, but as you see I'm a mess! I can't be here." He said in an embarrassed tone while rubbing his nape.

'So don't be here!' She thought to herself as she was almost losing her temper.

Rona was always a sociable person with lots of friends and even a boyfriend who cheated on her with her best friend. Cliché, right?

Her life was perfect, then everything started falling apart since that day. She closed her doors and let the loneliness take the best of her. Now it's only her, her earphones, her music, her books, and nothing else.

She stopped suddenly, making the boy following her bump into her back. The boy was startled at the action and stepped back quickly, looking down at his colorful sneakers in guilt. He made her angry.

Rona sighed still, not bothering the boy who only wanted her to give him a little attention but he guessed that she was not interested. She continued on her way to the lecture hall, leaving the boy behind.

Rona went to the last desk at the corner of the hall where no one would notice her presence just because she hated being in the spotlights. She sat there, watching her mates interacting with each other, laughing, talking, exchanging supplies, and more. She felt envious. She was like them once. She would enjoy classes with her friend and her boyfriend. Now she's all by herself.

That was when the couple walked into the hall. Her ex best friend and her ex-boyfriend holding hands. Do they have to be that bold? In front of her?

Rona rolled her eyes and started taking out her books. She got used to the scene of them being the lovey-dovey campus couple and all.

***

The day passed as boring as every day.

Rona walked back to the bus stop and the boy was there.

'Please, just don't talk me!' She thought.

She reached the bench and sat down, waiting for the bus. The boy who was looking down at his sneakers never lifted his head up.

Strange! Did he hear her thoughts? Or did she mistakenly say that aloud?

Rona was looking down to the ground, kicking the tiny stones when she noticed that the boy was doing the same. She looked at his feet, then back to hers.

Same sneakers!

She smiled as she thought of when she bought those sneakers and her mom said that they were boyish and childish. Now she sees the point. That kid has the same taste as her. A boyish childish taste.

The boy glimpsed the smile on her face. He smiled too when his eyes trailed to where she was looking and realized what she was smiling at.

"You should do a double knot or you'll trip over." The boy said quietly, still not looking at her. She didn't answer.

He lifted his head and looked at her with sad eyes. She could feel him staring at her side face without looking in his direction.

He sighed then stood up, moved towards her, and crouched down. The boy's fingers reached for Rona's undone shoelaces and started tying them. "Like this." He said tightening the tie. "Then you won't trip and smash your face." He then stood up again and left.

Rona lifted her head, looking at the boy's back as he walked away. He never takes the bus. So why does he wait at the bus stop? He's not a student at her university, so is he at another one? Or is he a student at all? Maybe still a high school student? He looks young! But he's not wearing a school uniform.

Who's he?

The bus came and as always, she hopped in and went to her seat by the window, plugging in her earphones.