(Five)

"Why can't I walk you home?" Minho asked tapping, his feet to the ground in annoyance as a kid.

"Cause I can go home by myself." Rona snapped.

"But it's better to have a companion."

"No, thank you. Enough being my companion for today."

"What if some creep shows up? It's late. We stayed at the park for late."

"You are a creep!"

"I'm not a creep! I'm your friend."

Friend? It's something Rona didn't have for a long time. It's been almost two years since she had someone she would call a friend. She even forgot how to make friends and socialize with people. She was always at the back of her class, at the corner of the bus stop, in the backseat of the bus. She was always unnoticed at the back since that day.

Rona looked at the boy who called himself her friend. She was thankful that he thought of her as a friend but she simply couldn't accept that. She can't be his friend. "We can't be friends, Minho."

"And why is that?"

"Because you are.. d-different." She stuttered. "You can't be a friend to someone like me. And that's it for today and forever. Thank you for spending time with me today." She said.

Again, she walked away, leaving the boy looking down at his feet helplessly.

***

Rona walked into her house which was as dark and cold as always. She switched on the lights and dropped her bag to the floor before she lands on her sofa that dusted off, making the whole living room float in the dust.

"Shit! This house needs cleaning. When was the last time we cleaned?"

Rona looked at the dust trailing all over the house.

Ignoring the fact that she has to clean, Rona sneaked to her bed, doing her routine of scrolling down her social media till she falls asleep. She was about to, when the boy's words echoed in her ears.

He wanted to dance but he couldn't. Her heart ached a little at how some people would never be able to achieve their dreams. Although her life was a mess, at least she was able to work on achieving her dream. That was the last thing she thought about before surrendering to her sleep.

***

"Let's go to the beach. The weather is sunny." Minho whined, jumping all around her while she was walking home after she got off the bus.

For the past few weeks, Minho didn't stop showing up at the bus stop, at the campus, near her home, at the park, and everywhere around her. She won't lie, she enjoyed his presence.

Minho was unique. He had an interesting personality. He would talk a lot, be chaotic, laugh loudly, scold her sometimes as if he was older than her, joke around and be savage. Then suddenly, he would switch to the cute mode, he would be calm, quiet, listening, and caring, he would ask her about her day and how is studying and exams. It was just like he had two personalities.

She enjoyed his presence but she couldn't take it anymore. She was not used to being surrounded. She was not used to talking that much.

She sighed. "I have to study, Minho. I have exams."

"You've been saying that for more than a month!" He whined.

"Never-ending exams, I guess."

"Come on. A few hours won't harm. Let's watch the sunset there."

"It's almost three hours to the nearest beach for god's sake, Lee Minho." She yelled.

"What's wrong with a little road trip? We can take the bus. It's still noon anyways."

That was crazy. She never went that far with a stranger who never admitted that he was a stranger to her. She wanted to say no, but the thought of the beach made her long for the last time she went there. She was with her friend and her boyfriend. They enjoyed their time a lot. That was the last time she enjoyed herself.

How would a few hours at the beach harm her?

"Fine!" She uttered. "But we can't miss the last bus back to Seoul."

"YESSSSSSS!" Minho jumped throwing a fist in the air.

***

In no time, the two of them were at the back of the bus heading to Daecheon's beach. Rona was quietly looking out of the window, while Minho was excited like a kid who was on his first school trip. She wondered if he ever had the chance to live his life normally before getting that sick.

Rona felt grateful for Minho as soon as her feet touched the sand. It sent warmness up her body. The sun was bright but not burning hot. The breeze was cool and soothing. At that moment, she felt that everything was perfect. Like she had nothing to worry about. Nothing to fear and nothing to hide.

The two sat on the sand quietly, even the hyperactive kid was enchanted by the sunset view that he calmed down and sat beside her watching in awe. Rona shoved her eyes to the enchanted boy. She kept admiring his handsome features and his ethereal look for while. Her heart ached, a lot.

"I know that I have a breathtaking side profile." Minho joked when he felt her gaze on him.

"You do." She answered directly.

Minho was taken aback by her direct answer. She never praises him. He looked at her blinking nervously which made him look more breathtaking. "Oh, umm. T-Thanks." He stuttered.

"You are handsome, Lee Minho. It's really sad that I met you that late."

"It's never late, Rona." The boy smiled shyly.

"It is." She sighed, still locking her eyes with his. "When will you stop acting like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you are here."

Minho's smile faded and he looked at Rona with confusion. "What do you mean?"

"When will you stop pretending that you are alive when you are not?" A tear escaped her eyes as she yelled at him. She was still looking into the boy's sparkling eyes. "You are not here. You are a ghost, Lee Minho."