19 - puddlemere united

Y/N's POV

"Y/N? What are you doing here? I thought you weren't supposed to come until tomorrow." Oliver says as soon as I find him among the many tents on the campground. 

I shrug my shoulders. "That was the original plan, but I just needed to get away from London a little early."

He must hear the faint hint of sadness in my tone because his expression automatically becomes one of worry. "Why? What happened?"

"I went to talk to George like you suggested and I saw him with another girl. He has a girlfriend." I sigh.

Oliver immediately wraps me up in his arms, holding me against his chest. "I'm sorry, y/n. I had no idea."

I pull away, willing myself not to cry. "How could you? And I mean the worst thing is I don't even know how long it's been going on. Either he's been with her all along or he moved on fast. If it's the latter, I'm not sure I should even be surprised considering we weren't even together."

"It's gonna be okay, y/n. After doing something like that, he doesn't deserve you."

"I know. It just sucks. I mean, I got this amazing news today that I'm going to be the new manager at Flourish and Blotts. I wanted to go see him and then go out for drinks to celebrate but now I just want to drink to get rid of this sadness."

"Lets do it then." Oliver says. 

I look at him suspiciously. "Won't your coach be mad if you're drinking the night before the big match."

Oliver shakes his head. "One drink won't hurt. You can come along with me and the team. But I'm only letting you have one drink as well. The last thing I want is you blacking out or nursing a hangover."

I laugh. "Okay. Lets go then."

*****

"HEY Ollie!" a loud voice shouts from across the pub when we walk in. As soon as I see the source of the voice, I recognize him immediately as Benjy Williams, the star chaser for Puddlemere United. 

"Hey Benjy." Oliver says once we near his table. "This is y/n. Y/N, this is Benjy Williams." He introduces. 

"Hey." I say, taking a seat beside Oliver as a waitress comes over with glasses of firewhiskey. 

Benjy is wearing a smirk on his face as he looks at me, glancing between Oliver and I. "So, Oliver, you didn't tell me you finally got a girlfriend."

Oliver laughs. "That's cause I didn't. Y/N and I are just friends. Where's the rest of the team?"

"They already left." Benjy says, taking a sip from his drink. "They had their one designated drink and now coach has sent them off to sleep. So, y/n, what brings you out drinking tonight?"

I take a sip of my firewhiskey before answering, letting the liquid burn its way down my throat. "Heartbreak." I answer simply. 

He leans back in his chair, assessing me. "Well, I know the perfect cure for that."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yep." He smiles. "A rebound."

I chuckle. "Considering casual sex is what got me into this mess in the first place, I'll have to reject that suggestion."

We spend the rest of our time chatting about Quidditch and their season so far until we all finish our drinks and head back to the camp ground. 

"Thanks for the drink, Ollie." I say once he's walked me back to my reserved tent. 

"It's no problem."

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow after your game. But good luck." I say, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him in for a hug. 

*****

"I can't believe it." Pansy says, slapping down a newspaper in front of me. It's Monday morning and I'm back at work after my weekend away. I don't look at the newspaper, because I'm too busy giving Pansy a weird look. She looks absolutely bewildered. "You go away for one weekend and you somehow make front page news on the Daily Prophet."

That catches my attention. "What?" I cry, snatching the newspaper from the counter and examining it closely. My eyes widen and my jaw drops at the sight of the article, written by none other than Rita Skeeter.

Could this girl be a Keeper for Puddlemere United's Oliver Wood?

Underneath the title is a picture of Oliver and I hugging outside my tent. It must have been taken the night before his match when he walked me back from the pub. That rat, I think to myself, laying down the paper with a huff. I don't really care to read what it says since it'll all be lies anyways.

"Since when did The Daily Prophet become a tabloid?" 

Pansy laughs. "You know yourself, they've hardly reported anything truthful since before Voldemort came back to power. They've always spouted lies, like everything they said about Harry a couple years ago."

"You've got that right. I mean, Oliver and I are just friends."

"I know that, but what if George sees this? Don't you think he'll jump to conclusions?"

Right, I had forgotten that I hadn't told Pansy about Friday and what I saw. "I don't care what George thinks."

"So, does that mean you're not going to forgive him for what he said while you were visiting his family?"

"No. I forgave him for that and I went to his apartment to tell him that and he was with another girl. Turns out he has a girlfriend."

"That bastard." Pansy mutters.

"Yeah." I shrug. "I don't really want to talk about it. I'll be up in the office getting things set up for when I take over as manager. Do you mind meeting me upstairs during your lunch break?"

"Of course." Pansy smiles.

I smile back at her before heading up to the office. No. It's not just the office anymore, it's my office now. See? Who needs a boyfriend when you have a success and a couple friends. Of course, half of those friends works for me, but that's besides the point. 

I don't need George. I'm perfectly fine on my own.

*****

A/N: I'm thinking this story is going to start winding down and wrapping up over the next few chapters. Maybe anything between 2-5 chapters left. 

I hope I'm not dragging it on too long, I just love writing this one so much. 

But I'm also super excited to start writing my Sirius x Reader next!