20 - assistant manager

Y/N's POV

"SO as you know I'll be taking over as manager, which means I need an assistant manager, and I want to offer you the job." I tell Pansy as she sits across from me during her lunch break. 

"Are you serious?" she asks. 

I nod, smiling at her. "I know you said you just wanted to take the job as assistant until you figured out what you wanted to do for your own business and to gain some experience. But you're a great employee and I would love to have you work here full-time."

Her face pales slightly at my statement and I wonder what I've said wrong. "Full time?"

"Yeah. Is that a problem?" I ask gently.

She sighs and starts fiddling with her fingers and not making eye contact with me. "It's just that I'm working two jobs right now and I don't think I can afford to give up the other one to work here full time..."

"Afford? Are you in some sort of financial trouble?" I question, trying to get the whole picture.

She sighs before finally meeting my eyes. "Not a lot of people know this but during the war after Filch was supposed to take the Slytherins to the dungeon, I broke out and started fighting. Against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Against my parents. When they found out, they were pissed and disowned me. But they were arrested by Aurors soon after and sent to Azkaban, so I could've technically continued to stay at our manor, but it just didn't feel right. I wanted to distance myself from them as much as I could, so I moved out and moved into a room at the Leaky Cauldron where I also work as a bartender. The pay isn't that great but the tips are, so I'm trying to save up for my own apartment in London or something."

"I'm sorry Pansy, I had no idea." I tell her. "But I do really want you as my assistant manager because I really think that you're perfect for the job, so here's what I'm thinking...I keep you here as assistant manager most of the time and pay you 42 galleons a month. I'll also give you weekends off as well as Friday night, as long as I don't need you to cover for me so you can work at the Leaky Cauldron. I assume that would be when you get the most tips. As for your living situation, my landlord is going to start jacking up the price of my rent soon since the economy is seems to be stabilising for the first time since the war ended, which means if I want any sort of spending money, I'm open to a roommate. It's a two bedroom apartment so you can have your own room as long as you split rent and groceries with me. Oh, and it's in London." I beam at her, proud of my quick thinking.

42 galleons and working at the Leaky Cauldron some weekends will surely give her enough money to live with me and save up for her own place, while also having enough money to spare for spending. Besides, I was already planning on posting an ad searching for a roommate, and at least this way I know who it is, rather than just some random witch or wizard who's into who knows what. 

"Merlin, that would be wonderful! Are you serious?"

"Of course." I smile widely at her.

She smiles back before pulling me into a tight hug.

*****

George's POV

WITH it being Monday, I figure y/n must be back from her weekend away and working again. I walk into Flourish and Blotts, hoping I'm right. I need to talk to her. I need to explain the situation with Angelina and that's it's just a misunderstanding. I also need to know why the hell Rita Skeeter published a whole article about a blossoming relationship between y/n and Oliver. 

Is it true or is is just a load of rubbish like all her other articles?

But when I walk into the bookshop, it's not y/n sitting at the front counter but Pansy Parkinson. "Where's y/n?" I ask, walking up to her.

Pansy doesn't answer. Instead her hand snaps out and slaps me hard across the face. "How dare you string y/n along when you already had a girlfriend." She scolds.

So I guess y/n told Pansy about Angelina. I reach up to rub my cheek, soothing the sting slightly. "I didn't. Angelina didn't understand what I meant last year. I told her I wanted to break-up but she misconstrued it into thinking I just wanted a break. I don't care about her. It's y/n that I care about. It's y/n that I love. I went to her apartment on Friday to tell her that but she was gone and now I've probably lost my chance if what I read in the Daily Prophet is true."

"It's not." Pansy says. "It's not true, just a rumour. The two of them are just friends."

I let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, so where's y/n?"

She's quiet for a moment, searching my face as if trying to discern if I was telling the truth and if I deserve to see y/n. She seems to think I am. "Upstairs. In the office."

*****

A/N: I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I really wanted to give Pansy a bit of a redemption arc because why not? 

Steamy scene in the next chapter (possibly) and then after that will probably be the last or second last one. 2-3 chapters to go!

Also thank you so much for 10k reads!! You're all literal angels, I have no idea what I did to deserve all of you and your support.