n i n e - J.D.

[TW: Mentions of Violence & Gore]

[Season 2 & 3 Spoilers Present]

YEAR 850~

There were choruses of cheers and hollers echoing about all around us.

We had finally graduated, and finally completed our training. We were finally about to enter the real world, the real military, the real deal.

To anyone else, it should've been terrifying. Seeing that their work had come to fruition, and that now they'd have to act on it, the future laying as an unwritten paper, most would've been scared.

That unknown brought me comfort for some reason, I don't think it should've. Thinking about this moment previously, I was afraid, but now it felt okay. The atmosphere was light, and the heavy weight on my shoulders was briefly lifted.

I was in a tight embrace with Mina, a rare occasion for many to see. Not many found themselves gazing upon a display of physical affection coming from me, and especially not a look of joy on my face. It perplexed nearly everyone who saw.

I pulled away from her, gazing warmly into her irises, "So what now? For you, at least."

She brightly smiled at me, "I don't know if I want to go into the Garrison, but I'm not brave enough to go into the Survey Corps alone. If you joined, I know I'd go."

"You've got a little too much faith in me, you know that right?"

"No, no, it's justified. You'd excel there. I know it goes against your whole 'nothing matters' vibe, but it'd suit you. Plus, green looks good on you."

I chuckled a bit, "So I should join, just for the cape?"

"I don't think it's a half-bad idea."

We laughed together for a moment, before my eyes gazed upon the stark board in the centerpiece of the wall. It had names and numbers, all aligning to skill and precision.

The rankings were, honestly, to be expected.

Mikasa was first, Reiner was second, Bert was third, Annie was fourth, I was fifth, and Eren was sixth.

There were others, of course, but I truthfully just cared that I had beaten Jaeger. Not that it was supposed to be any special achievement, I just wanted to stick it to him that I had done better. A small smile fluttered across my face at the thought.

As if he had read my mind, I felt his hand make contact with my shoulder, gently gripping it and shaking me a bit, "I thought you didn't care?" A light purr was introduced to his voice, and his tone was sarcastic.

I stared him in the face, "Yeah, I don't. I'm just naturally better than you."

He rolled his eyes, "You're still on about that? Give it a rest, Jo."

"Well, does the ranking say otherwise?"

He squinted at me a bit, "....No"

My elbow nudged his side, "So you've realized that I'm speaking the truth."

"You're not a fucking preacher," He briefly laughed, "Stop acting like you're above me or some shit."

"I act that way because I can."

"Jo, what?"

"Yeah, Eren?"

"What?"

"Yeah."

"Huh."

"Okay?"

"What?'

I gave him a small smile and a thumbs up, "Glad we agree."