Chapter 8

Wanda's Pov

The past two weeks have been had been great. I'd grown even closer with everyone and even though I'd only been with them for a short time I knew that we were all a family. Thor had returned form Asgard and although he'd been weary of me at first, after a few days we were close as well. Everything was going really well until this morning when FRIDAY woke me up and announced the date.

It was my birthday. Our birthday. and he wasn't here. The wave of sadness that had grown smaller over the past couple weeks suddenly returned and I felt hopeless once again. Not bothering to respond to FRIDAY I tiredly walked into the kitchen where everyone else was roaming around.

"Ms. Maximoff has entered the room. Happy Birthday, Wanda!" FRIDAY's voice announced. The group turned to me and I sighed. "Magical Mortal! Why wasn't I informed that it was your day of birth??" Thor boomed. 

"Yeah Wanda! Why didn't you tell us? we could have planned something sooner! Don't worry, we'll still do something special for you." Nat said kindly. "Wait you 18 today right? Congrats, you're officially an adult! Still a kid to us though." Clint teased. Steve laughed at Clint's remark and patted me on the back.

"Well.. technically Vision's the youngest." I replied, "And thanks guys, you know I love you all but I'd really just like to be left alone today." I continued with my head down. "Whaaat? No way kid! It's your 18th, We have to go all out." Clint responded. Nat looked at me in confusion and Bruce asked me why I didn't want to celebrate such a special day.

"I just- can't, okay? I'm sorry." The group continued to protest. my face burned red and I felt embarrassed yet again. They were all so confused and had no idea why I was so down about my birthday. Feeling my hands start to shake I knew a breakdown was coming and I fled to the roof, not caring that they were still looking at each other in question.

Once I reached I buried my head in my knees and my power came bursting out of me in multiple red rings. I heard footsteps and turned to see that they had all followed me up and were cautiously eyeing the red waves that were exploding out of me. "Wanda, please talk to us. What's wrong?? if you're worried about the government coming for you now that you're not a minor there's nothing to worry about!" Steve told me. "Wanda we care about you, please talk to us. Today's a happy day!" Nat added.

I had had enough, I finally broke. "Today is not a happy day! It's his birthday too! And he's dead." "Wha-wh- Oh. Oh my god. I'm so sorry Wanda." Tony whispered as he widened his eyes and told his realization to the group. They quickly changed their expressions and slowly headed towards me. 

Nat pulled me close to her and Clint began to speak, "I-I'm so sorry. We completely forgot that.. that you guys were twins. Is there anything we can do?" " I just want to be alone," I pleaded.

"No way Wan. You're family and we can't leave you like this. You could hurt yourself!" Tony insisted. "C'mon, I have something I've been meaning to show you." He continued while Thor gave me a sad smile and helped me to my feet.

Tony and the others led me downstairs to a huge open room with indestructible walls. "Here Wanda. Come here if you ever feel unstable. This is a safe place, just let it all out." I looked at everyone and they all nodded at me encouragingly. I took a deep breath and let everything explode out of me in a giant red boom. I did this over and over until I tired myself out and crumpled to the floor. Once they saw I was finished they rushed to my side and asked me if I felt better. 

"You are one strong girl, you know that?" Nat said to me as she wiped my tears and comforted me. "Yeah Wanda, you know we love you and we'll always be here for you." Tony added and gave me a tight hug. 

I looked up and gave a small smile,"Aww, you going soft or something Stark?" I teased. He just rolled his eyes and patted my shoulder while everyone piled around me lovingly. I smiled again, starting to feel truly better, like a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I sat up and we all headed back upstairs where Vision was waiting for us. "I have set up something on the roof for you Wanda, if everyone could please join me." I grabbed a comfortable sweater and pulled my red hair into a messy up-do and proceeded to head up to the roof where I saw everybody sitting around and chatting with cushions and blankets surrounding the roof, and a big projector at the front. 

"Vis! You did this for me?" I asked him. "I did, I hope it's alright. I know that you enjoy sitcoms so I thought I would do something to make you comfortable. Do you like it?" "I love it! Thank you so much Vis. Thank you everyone."

I took a blanket and patted the extra space next to me inviting Vision to sit down. I covered both of us with the blanket and rested on him while Nat put her arm around me. Everyone chatted and watched the screen meanwhile Thor kept coming up to me and asking questions about the show. 

After two episodes I told everyone I would be right back. They smiled at me and I quickly ran to my room and grabbed my sketchbook and pencil. I returned and settled back down into my spot and sketched the scene in front of me of all the Avengers watching the screen and laughing at eachother. I showed Nat once I was finished and she gave a huge smile. She paused the show and stood up in front of everyone. 

"You guys! Look what Wanda drew." They all got closer to look at it and I shyly giggled and asked what they thought. "I didn't know you could draw Wanda! This is so good!" Tony exclaimed. "This is  going up in the common room. It captures us as a family." Steve added. Everyone agreed and surrounded me as we all talked happily and settled down together. 

It was here that I truly realized that I felt happy with my new super-family. Though I was no where near being over Pietro, I knew this was what he would want, and that he was proud of me. 

I was relaxing in my room much later around 1'oclock in the morning when Nat rushed in. "Wanda! get up, we have a mission and you're coming." 

"Are you sure you need me..? I'm kinda new at this." I asked her. "Of course we do! We all trust you and it's time for your first official Avenger mission. Not to mention how powerful you are, we never would have gotten out of Sokovia without you." I nodded my head and told her that I would get ready. I hastily joined the others and in minutes we were all aboard the the private jet.

"So Wanda, ready for your first official mission?" Steve asked. "Well, I sure hope so." I smiled and replied. Everyone gave me words of encouragement before I began to doze off. 

Was I ready for my first real mission? I was going to have to be.