Handshakes of a Lifetime - Chapter 3

This chapter ended up being longer that the first two combined, I think because I am actively trying to remember things rather than writing off the cuff with JK's and Jimin's handshakes, let me know if you like this writing style better, I still don't know what I'm doing :D

BTS Soulmate AU / OT7 x Reader / Hoseok x Reader in this chapter.

Trigger warnings: death, car accident, paralyzed characters, drug use and alcohol use and oral sex you know just normal college things. Angst - imagine quirky highschool/college au...FULL OF PAIN.

---

You stand in front of Jung Hoseok, who radiates every bit of sunshine and cheerfulness you've only experienced from computer screens. His eyes look a bit worried but he easily masks it behind his bright smile. He gives you a playful shrug of his shoulders making a friendly sound waiting for you to grasp his hand.

You pause, as crazy as it sounds, now you're not so sure you want to grab his hand.

But you have a special place in your heart for J-hope, it still bothers you to this day how fans used to ignore him and make him feel anything less than the magnificent human being he is deserving of all the love in the world. So gathering up what's left of your nerve you grab his hand firmly.

Hoseok's grip on your hand is comforting as he leads you away from the playground. You sniffle, keeping your head down. Your bully, who sits in the sand holding a growing black eye stares at the two of you walking away.

"What's your name?" Hoseok asks. "Y/n," you whimper.

He looks over his shoulder and yells, "And if you touch my friend y/n again, I'll punch you in the other eye!" The two of you keep walking together, he doesn't let go.

You sit with Hoseok's parents in the waiting room of a hospital. Your face feels tight with dried tears. The moment you heard of Hoseok's accident you came. The doctors begin to explain to his parents that although the surgery was successful, he most likely will never walk again. You watch as his mother breaks down in her husband's arms. Your own body shakes as you hold in your tears.

You're waiting outside the building where Hoseok has his support group meeting once every month. You look at your watch for the time and frown, he's thirty minutes late. It's a school night and you're going to miss curfew if you have to wait any longer. Balancing between the balls and soles of your feet, you think on what to do and decide to go inside. When you peek your head into the meeting room, the participants are dispersed in groups making idle chit chat as the group conversation comes to an end.

You step in and stand next to a table littered with pastries and coffee, taking the opportunity to steal a donut. An older man and woman make their way to you, the man whom you notice has a larger, more cushioned wheelchair than the one that you're so used to seeing Hoseok use. The three of you exchange greetings.

"Are you his sister?" The two of them make eye contact and laugh. You backtrack quickly, "Oh sorry, friends? Caretaker-"

"No, he's my husband." The woman runs her fingers through the man's hair affectionately, he closes his eyes enjoying the feeling.

Your eyes go wide. "I'm so sorry!" You feel like an idiot. "I didn't mean to assume-" You watch the way they look at each other like the only two people in the world, of course they would be together, you think.

"It's alright, I get it all the time." The woman hushes you, not seeming to be bothered in the slightest. "People aren't used to our kind of relationship, you know...they can't see all the things he does that made me fall in love with him, only the thing's he can't do..." She grips her husband's hand, and even though the man can't feel it, the gesture warms his heart.