Chapter 55

After everything that had gone down with Hyojin, Donghyuck was grateful that the week that followed started significantly less eventfully than the one before. It still felt a little strange not to have his secret hanging over them all like a dark cloud anymore, especially when spending time with the maknaes at lunch or diving headfirst back into rehearsals for the musical with Dejun, but he certainly wasn't complaining.

Whilst initially reluctant to intrude, Hyojin had even taken Donghyuck up on his offer to sit at their lunch table a couple of times. She had yet to brave social niceties with the majority of the group outside the cafeteria, despite the open invitation whenever she decided she was ready, but one of the remaining empty seats at their table had become hers in all but name.

Surprising absolutely everyone, including the two teenagers in question, Hyojin and Renjun had quickly become firm friends. From almost the very first minute after they were introduced—ignoring the awkward interaction immediately following her and Donghyuck's heart to heart, in which Renjun had actually growled at her from over Jaemin's shoulder—they had found common ground in their love of art and painting.

Renjun had quickly gained another recruit to help with the never-ending pile of stage sets that needed decorating, while Hyojin had found herself armed with a patient mind and a supportive ear. He didn't know the details, nor did he want to, but Donghyuck knew that Renjun and Hyojin had started to open up to each other about their experiences with the other Donghyuck, in a way that they simply couldn't with him around.

He didn't begrudge them at all. In fact, he was glad that they both had someone else like that in their lives. While his relationship with Hyojin had recently come a long way—and Renjun was, of course, one of the people he trusted most in the universe—he knew it had to be tough to talk openly to him about a boy who shared his face. No matter how different he acted, he still looked identical to the Lee Donghyuck who had caused them both pain, even if it hadn't really been him.

Still, Renjun had effortlessly made Hyojin start to feel welcome in their friendship group, slowly drawing Jeno and then Jisung into casual conversations over lunch to ease her in at her own pace. It had given Donghyuck a renewed appreciation for Renjun's maturity and for the positive influence he had over the people around him, even if the boy often didn't see it in himself.

This week hadn't all been plain sailing though, Donghyuck reminded himself, as Chenle dropped a tray piled high with spaghetti down onto the table next to Yukhei's elbow and slid into his usual spot on the bench seat. Knowing what would follow, Donghyuck waited patiently for a few seconds, not even managing to count to five before Jisung slumped down into the seat opposite, long fingers wrapped neatly around two neon blue energy drinks.

He passed one across to Chenle, who nearly tipped half the pasta into his lap as he attempted to pass Jisung's share of the hot food over with just one hand, and then Jisung's dark eyes flicked invariably across to Donghyuck. They locked gazes for a long moment, Jisung ignoring his lunch as he examined Donghyuck's face, before the younger boy flinched like he'd been burned and looked away.

It was the same thing that happened every single day now, without fail, although Donghyuck still had no idea what Jisung was searching for in his expression. He never seemed to find it, and the frustration flowing off him every time he failed was palpable, but he never said anything. Just stared somberly, eyes trying to bore into Donghyuck's soul for a few seconds, and then went back to whatever he'd been doing.

It was understandable really, Donghyuck knew, based on all the information that had been dumped on Jisung in the past week. He'd made it very clear that he didn't believe a word of it, and that hadn't changed, but Donghyuck found himself hating the way that their relationship had lost something crucial in the exchange. Jisung wasn't otherwise acting different—in fact, he seemed determined to pretend absolutely nothing was amiss—but Donghyuck could see it, the hidden depths beyond the facade, in stolen moments like this.