Chapter 4

Sensing that the shell-shocked boy opposite him didn't have any intelligible words left to utter, Jaemin wisely turned his attention back to his food. Munching quietly, he watched Donghyuck push half a sandwich around the table listlessly, looking for all the world like someone just removed all the stars from the sky.

He wasn't sure what to make of the baffling, far-fetched claims that his friend was making, and thinking about the whole concept was sure to give him a headache, so he tried to focus on other things. Like how the corner of Donghyuck's mouth twitched infinitesimally closer to a frown every few seconds, like the weight of the universe was slowly bearing down on him. Or how the boy's eyes were glassy and unfocused, and he was pretty sure he could have gotten up and walked away without him even noticing.

Regardless of the truth--and truth was a hell of a stretch--Jaemin was convinced of one thing. Donghyuck believed it, wholeheartedly, and that made it Jaemin's problem. They might not be particularly close anymore, because Hyuck had more friends than there was sand on the beachfront three towns east of here, but the boy had a magnetic personality. It was impossible not to like Donghyuck, and seeing him this torn up over something hurt. He just didn't know what he could do to fix him.

"Donghyuck, I really need to speak to you." Jaemin lifted his head and glanced over to see a girl standing at Hyuck's hip, tapping her foot impatiently. He thought she was the same one Hyuck had been running from earlier, but he couldn't be sure. Regardless, the older boy didn't move, seemingly content to ignore her until she gave up and went away. She coughed, then reached out to shake at Donghyuck's shoulder when he still didn't respond.

"What?" Donghyuck didn't look up, simply shrugging her hand off his shoulder. He looked exhausted and his voice was strained, lacking its usual weight.

"We need you," the girl said quickly, frowning down at the hand that was now swinging idly by her waist. Jaemin wondered when the last time was that she'd been dismissed like that. He thought he recognised her as one of Hyuck's most loyal sycophants--he had advanced language studies to thank for that particularly label--but he'd always seemed content with her presence before.

"What's wrong with him?" That question was directed at Jaemin, fiery eyes promising retribution if he'd somehow hurt the object of her adoration. Flashing her what he hoped was a reassuring smile, he waved a hand to assuage her suspicions.

"He's just not feeling well. Don't worry about it." Glancing down, he met Hyuck's gaze and hoped that the other boy would play ball. "Isn't that right, Hyuck-ah?" A small nod. A tight, tired smile. He returned it with a small smile of his own.

"I'm fine. What do you need?" Donghyuck still didn't turn to face her, but some of the hostility was gone from his tone and his shoulders seemed to relax. The girl still wore a frown, but was clearly determined to finish whatever message she had come over to convey.

"Since you're not coming to rehearsal today, I need you to confirm your vote for the winter production. Jinyoung told me that we should just go with what you said you wanted over the summer, back when the teachers emailed out the list of options, but the others wanted you to confirm your vote before we go." She broke off, watching a spot on the back of Donghyuck's right shoulder expectantly, frown easing now she'd said what she came to say.

"Um..." Donghyuck's brows furrowed and he seemed to be trying to silently communicate across the table with just his eyes. Unfortunately, Jaemin didn't speak 'eyelid twitch', so he just shrugged. With a sigh, Hyuck finally glanced over at the girl, who positively beamed at the attention. She had it bad, Jaemin thought wryly. If only she could see how little that was reciprocated. Everyone in their grade knew that Lee Donghyuck didn't date anyone, didn't even show any interest in anyone, despite his near-universal popularity. Boys and girls alike had gradually stopped trying--except this girl, apparently.