Chapter 21

When Donghyuck awoke the next morning, he was sprawled across Jaehyun's bed diagonally, like a starfish, and his brother was long gone. The curtains had been pulled back, letting the pale, washed-out sunlight of a cloudy day in, and the air around him was slightly chilled from the open window beyond. For a few minutes, he let himself lie completely motionless, listening to the muffled strains of cheery music drifting up through the floorboards from downstairs, content to simply exist with his thoughts.

Then he glanced over at the digital clock on Jaehyun's desk, realising that it was almost noon and that he really should get up and make good use of the remaining time he had with his hyungs before he had to go home. He didn't know when he'd get to see them all again, so he knew that every moment was precious.

A quick perusal of the ensuite, followed by the rest of the upper floor, told him that most of the inhabitants had likely already left for the day. He knew from the conversations the previous night that Taeil likely wouldn't be back before he had to leave, which made his heart ache, but there was definitely someone downstairs if the telltale sounds of someone singing along to the radio were anything to go by. It sounded a lot like Jungwoo in the shower at the dorms, he thought, as he quickly got dressed and washed his face. If he was right, it would give him the perfect opportunity to spend some quality time with the man one-on-one, as well as with anyone else who happened to be around.

"Good morn--oh!" Donghyuck rounded the base of the staircase with a bounce in his step, coming to an abrupt halt as he realised that he had been grossly mistaken. Through the open door that led into the small kitchenette, he could make out a familiar figure, but it wasn't the one he'd been expecting. Instead of Jungwoo, he was confronted by an embarrassed-looking Dongyoung, who stopped singing and quickly snapped his jaw shut at the sound of the younger boy's voice. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you."

"It's fine," Dongyoung said slowly, turning back to the stovetop he'd been cooking on before he'd been interrupted, using a pair of metal tongs to flip several rashers of bacon in a large pan. He didn't glance back at Donghyuck again but waved the tongs over his shoulder to attract the boy's attention. "If you were looking for your brother, he and Yuta-hyung went to the gym about an hour ago. They should be back soon. You're welcome to wait for them in here if you want."

Donghyuck considered simply explaining that he hadn't been looking for anyone in particular, unless you counted mistaking the man at the stove for another member of the household, but he didn't want to risk antagonising Dongyoung any further than he already had the previous night. He wasn't sure if this Dongyoung would ever come around to liking him, but correcting the man probably wasn't a good way to start.

"Thanks," he said instead. Making his way into the kitchen, he pulled out one of the bar stools lining the neat, polished countertop, deliberately choosing one on the opposite side of the room from the stove. "I meant what I said, by the way. Don't stop singing on my account." He smiled encouragingly, even though Dongyoung wouldn't be able to see it with his back to him. "You have a beautiful voice."

"Really?" Dongyoung sounded genuinely surprised, which hurt Donghyuck's heart a little. Sure, it hadn't been the polished perfection of the famous voice that performed on a stage every other night for months on tour, but the high, clean tone was unmistakably his. Even now, Donghyuck could remember clearly back to a time when Doyoung had previously been so insecure about his voice--the members had all been glad to see that side of him fade over time. To hear the uncertainty in his voice again now, it felt like he really was back to his old high school trainee days again, in a way that hadn't hit him until this moment.

"Of course." Dongyoung turned to face him then, eyes sweeping his face as though he was looking for signs of a lie. When he didn't spot whatever it was that he was looking for, he flushed and nodded his head at the boy, who flashed him a tentative smile in return. A nod wasn't quite the patented Doyoung smile he was used to, Donghyuck thought, but it was a start.