Chapter 49

He wouldn't trade this moment for anything, but Jaehyun had to admit that the stabbing, needling sensation coursing through the arm that Donghyuck was using as a pillow was less than ideal. He shifted a little on the bed, trying to get comfortable, but the younger boy had only just fallen asleep and he didn't want to risk waking him. Donghyuck had eventually exhausted himself a few minutes ago, innumerable tears shed and dried to mourn everything they had both lost--and everything they still had to lose--but Jaehyun felt oddly numb.

That wasn't to say that he didn't feel as acutely as Donghyuck did about the whole messy situation, he reassured himself, as he tried and failed once again to get comfortable. There was so much going on in both of their lives that it would be so easy to get overwhelmed, and for Jaehyun to allow himself to spiral into hysterics, but one of them needed to be able to think objectively about all of this. Donghyuck needed him to be strong enough for the both of them right now, so that was what Jaehyun would do, in so much as he was able.

Jaehyun let himself drift for a long time, the physical discomfort eventually fading into insignificance as he focused on matching Donghyuck breath for breath. He centred himself in each slow inhale and exhale--deep, rhythmic and mercifully unburdened in sleep--and reminded himself that he still had time left to cherish with his beloved brother like this, before fate pulled them apart again. All he had to do was make the most of it.

Eventually, however, Jaehyun could no longer ignore the basest call of nature and rolled slowly onto his side, carefully manoeuvring Donghyuck across onto his pillow and gingerly extracting his borrowed limb. He sat up, trying not to jostle the mattress too much as he moved, and kicked his slippers out from their position under the box spring. As he neatly slid them onto his feet, the younger boy snuffled softly, causing Jaehyun to freeze in place for a moment, but then Donghyuck just tucked his face into his brother's pillow with a sigh and rolled over onto his front.

It took another few seconds, vigorously massaging at the flesh of his arm, for sensation to fully return to Jaehyun's nerve endings. When it did, it wasn't entirely pleasant, but he made his way out into the hall and beelined for the bathroom regardless. Taking care of his needs quickly, Jaehyun could hear the faint sounds of his roommates' voices from downstairs as he emerged from the bathroom, so he decided it was high time he joined them. He knew that, at the very least, he owed Yuta and Dongyoung an apology for his shitty attitude towards them earlier today.

"Have you actually seen this list?" Jaehyun recognised that tone, as he descended the staircase and rounded the corner into the living room. Yuta was pacing the scant space between the sofa and the television, a frown etched into his usually tranquil features, while Jungwoo and Dongyoung occupied opposite ends of the large couch. "I'm not doubting you, Doie. I'm also not doubting Hyuck, but you have to admit that it sounds crazy."

"I have--" Dongyoung started to answer Yuta, but Jaehyun chose that moment to trip over his own feet and unceremoniously announce his arrival. As three sets of eyes snapped to his face, Jungwoo performing a particularly impressive feat of acrobatics to contort his body enough to see over his shoulder from the far end of the sofa, Dongyoung's words died on his tongue. Instead, he just blinked once, twice, and then fell silent.

"Don't stop on my account," Jaehyun told him with a wave of his hand. Claiming the chair nearest to Dongyoung, he eased into it and folded one leg over his other knee. He hoped the move looked appropriately casual, masking his surprise at the topic of conversation as he got comfortable. He didn't know exactly how much Dongyoung--or Donghyuck, although that was less likely--had told the others, but it couldn't hurt to throw his support behind his brother's story. He just hoped Donghyuck was okay with this. "It does sound crazy, but it's true."

"You believe him?" Yuta sounded like all the air had been punched out of his chest in one swift attack, but his gaze didn't leave Jaehyun's face as he spoke. He opened his mouth again and seemed to be debating whether or not to continue speaking, but then he sighed and sank down onto the rug next to the coffee table.