Chapter 50

TW: Mentioned/Implied Homophobia. It's not going to be extensive, but it is going to get discussed going forward. If you're not comfortable with that, I'd suggest you skip the next couple of chapters. Please be warned.

To Donghyuck's complete lack of surprise, when he set foot into homeroom first thing on Monday morning, there were already two familiar faces waiting impatiently for him inside. He'd made sure to arrive well ahead of the rush, knowing that the inquisition was coming, but the ear-splitting battle cry that Jaemin let out as they locked eyes across the classroom was almost enough to have him running for the exit instead.

"Don't even think about it, Lee Donghyuck," Renjun told him unequivocally, taking in what must have been a look of alarm on Donghyuck's face as he froze in the doorway, and then a hand was clamping down firmly on his forearm, dragging him over towards Renjun's desk in the middle of the room.

"Good morning," he offered, flashing them both a weak smile. Jaemin just laughed and slung an arm around his shoulders, effectively trapping him in place, as Renjun hopped up onto the flat tabletop behind him and fixed Donghyuck with a keenly intrusive stare. For a moment, none of them spoke, each sizing up the others to see who would crack first, but then Renjun let out a huff and caved like a house of cards.

"Tell us everything," he said quickly, eyes sparkling with undeniable interest. Donghyuck just shrugged and let Jaemin pull him tighter in under his arm.

"I told you everything over the phone already," he insisted. "Twice."

"Well, yes," Renjun agreed, sounding put-out for reasons that Donghyuck couldn't fathom, before waving his hands excitedly in front of him. "There has to be more to it though. Something you maybe forgot before." He hesitated, glancing up at Jaemin over Donghyuck's shoulder, and practically vibrated in his seat. "I mean, you finally found him!"

"I know." Donghyuck couldn't quite believe that part himself yet, even though his mind had played the events in question on a near-constant loop for the last couple of days, but he didn't know what else he could divulge to the rapturous audience before him. "But Jeno told you his side of the story too. You probably know more than I do at this point."

That wasn't entirely accurate, given that he'd already heard from them second-hand all of the minute details gleaned from Jeno's brain, but his main point still stood. His friends had called him the second they'd gotten off the phone with their boyfriend that day, demanding an in-depth play by play, and then they'd talked no less than four times in the two days that followed. They both knew everything he did. They'd all analysed, theorised and then subsequently freaked out to within an inch of their sanity in the same number of days, so Donghyuck doubted there was any new ground left to tread.

"Do you think we'll get to meet him today?" Jaemin cut off an open-mouthed Renjun before he could speak, causing the older boy to pout adorably. Behind him, Donghyuck could feel the pressure in his shoulders starting to build as Jaemin allowed more of his weight to press down onto his friend, but he couldn't bring himself to push him away. "I know he's starting today, but he's a senior. What if he wants to hang out with the other seniors instead? What if he doesn't want to talk to us?"

"NaNa..." Renjun rolled his eyes, an affectionate smile spreading slowly across his lips. "I love you, but you're a complete idiot. He's best friends with Lee Jeno. The same Lee Jeno who you happen to be--" He glanced over towards the door abruptly, evidently checking that they weren't about to be interrupted, and then lowered his voice to just above a whisper. "--the same person you happen to be dating. Why wouldn't he want to talk to you?"

"You're dating him too," Jaemin bit back, mimicking Renjun's hushed, terse tone perfectly. Donghyuck couldn't see Jaemin's face from where he stood, back pressed up against the younger boy's chest, but the blush that bloomed high on Renjun's cheeks at Jaemin's words told him that heavy winking was probably involved.