Chapter 8

"Chenle."

Donghyuck saw the confusion and hesitation flicker across Chenle's face, and realised a few beats too late that he'd made yet another mistake. Fighting himself, always second-guessing what he should and shouldn't know in this reality was tiring, but he really should have known better with this one. Chenle was a freshman; he'd only set foot in the building for the first time a week before--the same time as Donghyuck, ironically--so there's no way that he should have known the younger boy's name.

"How--" Chenle hesitated, "how do you know my name?" His eyes seemed to take in every inch of Donghyuck's face, analysing and scrutinising each pore. He found the older boy's eyes again after a few moments, the two entering into a silent staring contest before a shy smile lifted Chenle's lips. "What I mean to say is, I'm surprised you know who I am." Surprisingly, his smile didn't even seem forced. It was as though he had decided, for whatever reason, not to continue to question what Donghyuck had just said. If anything, he almost looked pleased. "You're Lee Donghyuck!"

Donghyuck didn't like the way he said that last part, with reverence and awe that should have been reserved for meeting the president--or magically going back in time to see Michael Jackson live in concert. To hear it from Chenle, who had essentially been his kid brother for nearly half a decade, made him uncomfortable.

"My friend Renjun mentioned that he met you through the International Society last week." Nice save, Donghyuck thought to himself, hoping that he sounded suitably casual. It wasn't even a lie. Just an extremely convenient misappropriation of Renjun's words. "He said you were considering joining Drama." He gestured around the wholly unfamiliar room and smiled up at Chenle. "Welcome."

"Thanks." The younger boy finally took his seat next to Donghyuck, still watching him intently. "How did you know it was me though? There are a ton of new students here." That was a very good question.

"Renjunie mentioned that you were adorable," he told Chenle, who blushed and let out a loud squeak of surprise that had Donghyuck struggling not to hug him for the second time in five minutes. It was so quintessentially Chenle, he thought, and he'd missed that sound. Even before he'd ended up here, he'd missed hanging out with his youngest brothers while they prepared for the 127 comeback. Donghyuck didn't know what would happen after he got home, but he realised then that he needed to appreciate this time with Chenle while he could. "He wasn't wrong."

"Thanks," Chenle mumbled, trying and failing to pretend he wasn't flattered by Donghyuck's words. "I guess." As he watched the red continue to rise in Chenle's cheeks, Donghyuck had an idea. He wasn't convinced it would work, but he was willing to try anything.

"Hey, Chenle?"

"Yeah?"

"If you need anything, either here in Drama or in school in general, come find me." Chenle's eyes widened, and Donghyuck had to fight the urge to laugh at the expression on his face. This younger, shyer Chenle might think he was making fun of him when the opposite was true. "Think of me as your big brother here at," he inwardly cringed slightly, remembering the sign above the main entrance, "Neo City High School. I--If you want." The dismount wasn't quite so smooth, but he didn't want to come on too strong. Or more strongly than he already had.

"Wait, really?" Chenle looked like he wanted to smile, but the slightest hint of a frown lingered at the centre of his brows, just above the bridge of his nose. "Why me?"

"No reason," Donghyuck said softly, clasping his fingers together in his lap. He wanted to look away, embarrassed, but forced himself to maintain eye contact. "I just have a feeling you and I will get on well. Renjun spoke highly of you and that's enough for me."