Round 4: Entries

Magnolia Watson

(NOT SUBMITTED THIS ROUND.)

----------------------------------------------------

Alisa

This is it, I thought to myself with a confident smirk. I’m one of the final five. I was suddenly snapped out of my thoughts when our guide started talking to us about our next task. I was a little nervous about the next task, but at the same time I was excited. If I had already made it this far, I thought that I would be able to go all the way in the competition. I wanted to win. 

The mysterious woman began speaking, “Flags with your parently symbol have been hidden within the forest, five for each of you. Your task is to collect these flags and return here with them. The one who returns last will be going home.” 

I’ve got to find five flags as quickly as I can? Piece of cake, I thought with a smile. Okay, my flags are going to have owls on them. I just have to figure out what color they are. Then the guide added something that made me feel uneasy. 

“But be warned, there are many monsters in these woods, and they would just love a little demigod to eat.” With a semi-evil laugh, she vanished. 

As soon as the lady vanished, I started running into the woods. Pumping my arms as I ran, I searched frantically for a flag with an owl on it, the symbol of my mother, Minerva. Suddenly, I saw a flash of blue and white to my right. It was one of my flags! I grabbed the silky blue flag and CONTINUED running. 

All of a sudden, I came face-to-face with one of the worst monsters I could’ve ever imagined: a Minotaur. The Minotaur growled at me before charging. I drew my sword quickly before dodging the sprinting half-bull. The Minotaur turned around and began charging again. I gasped, went down on one knee, and put both of my hands firmly on the hilt of my sword. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth as the Minotaur charged right into my sword. When I opened my eyes, the Minotaur had already dissipated into dust. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Well, that was way easier than I thought it was going to be, I thought in relief. Then I remembered what I was doing in the forest and began running again in search of four more flags. 

I found my next two owl flags with ease without encountering any more monsters. Three down two to go, I cheered mentally. 

I ran around a large tree but skidded to an abrupt stop when I saw what was lurking on the other side of the tree. It was a chimera, a monster with a lion head, a snake tail, and a goat in the middle. Thankfully, the beast had its back turned to me, and the snake tail wasn’t facing me, either. I also noticed that right in front of the chimera was my fourth flag. I’d have to kill the beast in order to retrieve the flag. Oh joy. 

I hid behind the tree for a few seconds before I came up with a plan. Slowly, I crept from behind the tree towards the monster. Just as I was going to stab its side, the snake tail saw me and hissed. The rest of the chimera turned around and breathed a line of fire in my direction, which I dodged quickly. 

The chimera began running at me and I screamed. At the very last second, I rolled under the beast and stabbed up. The monster cried out in pain before dissolving into dust on top of my. 

“Gross,” I said as I stood up, shaking the monster dust off of me. I walked over to my fourth flag and snatched the silky material. Only one more flag to go and I’d be good.

I was still a little shaken up from my encounter with the chimera, but I didn’t have time to sit around and catch my breath. I began sprinting around the forest once more. I heard an owl above me, and I looked up quickly. It was a good thing I did because I found my last flag. It was at the top of the tree that the owl was sitting in.