Round 1: Entries

Greek

Camille Mayfield

 (NOT SUBMITTED THIS ROUND)

Rosalina Gold

 (NOT SUBMITTED THIS ROUND)

Magnolia Watson

 I stomped up the steps of the big house and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Chiron," I said sternly, "I need a quest."

The old centaur looked up from his pinochle game. His white horse body was tucked into a magical wheelchair so he could pass as a regular man in the mortal world, at the moment he was just using it to fit at the table.

"Might I ask why?" he asked.

I threw my arms up in exasperation. "Because everyone treats me like I'm weak and can't take a hit just because my mom is Aphrodite!"

"Tough luck, kid," said Dionysus, the camp director, though we called him Mr. D here.

Ugh! I would love to kick his godly derrière, unfortunately, that'd probably get me turned into a bottlenose dolphin, so I restrained myself. 

I turned back to Chiron, he was looking towards half-blood hill, completely distracted from my problem. I was about to say something when I realized he wasn't just staring into space. Chiron looked very concerned; I instinctively drew my celestial bronze sword and followed his gaze.

At the top of the hill, a woman in a pure white Greek chiton had passed through the magic borders of camp. The woman strode down the hill with grace, her jet-black hair flowed over her shoulders in elegant curls, he held her head regally. The woman was so beautiful, for a moment I thought she was my mother coming to scold me for complaining about my lineage again. I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't Aphrodite, but she had to be a goddess.

All around, campers gathered at the sight of the goddess.

Chiron now stood next to me at the edge of the porch in full form. The crowd parted around the goddess allowing her to pass, she walked straight up the steps of the big house. 

She turned her eyes toward me, they were flecked with every color of the rainbow. 

"Magnolia Watson, please join your follow campers. I must speak with Chiron."

"Of course." I sheathed my sword and joined with the crowd.

We all watched as the activities director and the goddess spoke, meanwhile Mr. D was staring at his cards, completely oblivious to what was happening. After a minute or so, the goddess turned to faced the crowd.

"Greetings, demigods. I am Iris," she announced, "I come with a message: eight of you have been chosen to compete against a eight Roman demigods-" a collective gasp went up from the crowd, we'd all heard stories of the Roman camp, but very few considered them to be true. "The demigods chosen to compete: Magnolia Watson-"