Tensions Between Primitives

Chapter 6: Tensions Between Primitives

Qua-Toyne Principality

Central Calendar Year 1639, Month 3, Day 22.

It has been one month since the Qua-Toyne Principality entered into a diplomatic relationship with the country called the Sovereign Order.

This was the most important month in the history of the Qua-Toyne Principality.

Two months ago, The Sovereign Order made contact with the Qua-Toyne Principality and its neighbor, the Quila Kingdom, and established diplomatic relationships with both countries.

The amount of food that the Sovereign Order wanted to purchase was immeasurable, however the Qua-Toyne Principality, which possessed land blessed by the Goddess of the Land, was somehow able to answer that amount so they accepted the request although there were some parts of the request that was impossible for them attain.

The Quila Kingdom was, by nature, a barren land where it was hard to grow crops. However, the Order proposed that they would "terraform" the dry lands and turn it into lush plains and help mine underground resources below their lands, like large amounts of ore and crude oil that could be used to help them advance to the Industrial Age, according to the Sovereign Order. Which would then be exported to the SOR colony through an almost identical treaty of commerce that the Sovereign Order had with the Qua-Toyne Principality, furthermore they received Sovereign Order’s technology upgrades to commence mining.

On the other hand, in return for these imports, The Sovereign Order easily manufactured and exported basic infrastructures of the late 20th Century.

An evolution of the stone-paved road to asphalt roads, a seamless road that connected major cities, then the large scale transportation system called a steam-powered railway, furthermore they constructed large-scale port facilities both for aquatic and space faring vessels. If these were completed, then the circulation of goods inside the country would become livelier than ever. The preliminary calculations showed that it would result in a period of growth that would be incomparable to any other until now, a Golden Age. This was what the Economy Ministry had reported to Prime Minister Kanata.

Although the Qua-Toyne Principality also requested an export of weapons, the Sovereign Order reluctantly accepted this request and provided them with needle rifles of the 19th Century to further boost their technological advancement. Then, the Qua-Toyne Principality also requested various assistances in technology, but due to the new law called the Strict Advanced Technology Distribution Act, they wouldn’t be able to transfer core technology that could have further potential military and civilian uses.

Nevertheless, the useful technology that came from the Sovereign Order had fundamentally changed the daily lives in both the Qua-Toyne Principality and the Quila Kingdom permanently. The water pump technology from the early 20th century was able to provide clean drinking water at all times (although they originally had water pump technology, they didn’t have enough lever pumps and always drank freshwater from lakes and rivers), the electrical technology that illuminated the surroundings with light as bright as the day even in the dark of night and could power various machinery of the early 20th century provided by the SOR, and the propane gas that could create a fire just with a press of a switch and boil water in a few minutes. In excess of their surplus resources, they had received these numerous new miraculous technologies.

Since only one month had passed since then, it hadn’t been spread out on a large-scale operation yet, but just seeing the sample of these technologies made the Economy Ministry officials astonished, as if their minds had been blown away.