19

The sun shone through the beige blinds as the birds welcomed the morning with their vibrant chirps. I lifted my hand to block the rays of sun that had made it past the blinds and onto my eyes. I heard a slight groan coming from my right and I realised the sunshine too, had woken Sam up. He slowly fluttered his eyes open as his pupils began adjusting to the change in light. This moment felt surreal, me laying in my warm, comfy bed next to him, after all those weeks of not seeing him.

Sam spread his lips into a wide smile, before leaving a soft kiss on my cheek.

"Good morning darling. Did you sleep alright?" he asked, his morning voice husky and raspy. His brown locks were spread messily all over his head, his eyes still barely opened. "What time is it?"

"10:21 am" I say after unplugging my phone and turning it on. Sam sat up, eyes still struggling to stay open, and beamed a small smile at me.

"Are you hungry? Scarlet invited us all to brunch." He said as he got on his feet and picked up his shoes.

"She did what?!" My eyes widened; now I was fully awake. I noticed the confused expression that formed on my boyfriend's face, making me realize that I said that too loud.

"Is there anything wrong with that..?" his eyebrow remained raised, as the reaction I gave was questioning.

"No, it's just, I had no idea because otherwise I would have woken up earlier to get ready..." I lied.

"Oh, but don't worry about that, you have plenty of time it's at 12 PM. i'll let you know what time we're leaving." he replaced the confused expression with a soft smile. Thanks Sam, but that wasn't my actual concern.. "Well I'll let you get to it."

I watched as he left the room, his sneakers in his hands, his shirt wrinkled and hair messy. He gently closed the door behind him, and that was the sign that I needed to get ready.

I rubbed my eyes and finally sat up, the silk sheets falling forward.

Why was Scarlet inviting us to brunch? Doesn't she hate me? It has to be an excuse to get Sam.

I stood up and took out an outfit from my closet. A simple top going with a nice skirt. It's just a brunch, and I'm tired from last night so I did not expect anything too crazy. I leave the room with the intentions of heading to the bathroom.

My phone buzzes in my hand and I look down to see what it was, but before being able to read a word on the screen I bump into a taller figure, and after looking up I realize it was Noah.

"Shit, I'm so sorry I wasn't looking where I was going." I stammer. After getting a good glimpse of him, I realized he too, was coming to the brunch. He had a nice button up t-shirt on, and a pair of pants.

"It's no problem at all," he smiled, "here," he stepped aside, "you can use the bathroom."

Blushing out of embarrassment, I slither out of his sight and into the bathroom. After getting changed I opened my makeup bag, and got my usual lip balm and mascara, preparing to apply it with the mirror.

Scarlet was so pretty. 

I frown a bit. I thought I'd have to look better if I don't want to lose Sam. I took some makeup from Lily and Chloe's bags. It felt morally wrong but this continuous feeling of guilt and self-hatred wouldn't leave my stomach.

Concealer. Blush. Tweezers. A bit of this powder, too. Eyelash curler. Mascara. Lipstick.

Good enough, I think.

I hope Sam notices. I put everything back where I found it, and checked myself out in the mirror one more time. I gave myself a small smile, before cringing at the way I looked.

Why is she making me feel so insecure?

I sighed and left the bathroom to my bedroom to pick up a handbag to bring.

"Hey," I turn around, and see Noah walking behind me, "you look nice."

"Thank you," I reply. I gave him a small smile before attempting to continue walking.

"You're also coming to Scarlet's brunch, I assume."

I nod my head politely, and then continue my way to my room. As nice as he was, he was not the face I sought to impress at the time. In fact, that one was nowhere to be found.

I send him a quick text, asking of his whereabouts, and it turns out he had left to the store to buy something to bring to the brunch.

"Without me?" I texted, and his response was that I seemed to have needed time to get ready, judging off of how long I was stuck in the bathroom. He had no desire to disturb or interrupt me, and truly I appreciated it, but at the same time, asking would have been considerate too.

Fortunately for me he added that he was going to return to our place to pick me up, and from there we'd arrive together, so all that was left for me was to sit and wait.

The living room was the spot I had chosen. The store wasn't a drive too far from here, so Sam should be returning in minutes. I sat on the couch closest to the entrance, phone in hand, scrolling mindlessly through social media in hopes of finding something entertaining.

"(Y/N), you want a ride?" I drifted my gaze up to meet eyes with the voice. Noah stood in front of me, shoes and jacket already on, with intentions to leave.

"That's alright, Sam's giving me a ride." I gave him a small smile, with intentions of looking back at my phone and dismissing him. But he didn't leave. He raised an eyebrow due to the fact that Sam was out at the shops.

"You're going to be late with him, you know that, right? Scarlet isn't a fan of tardiness."

He had a point. He got me right in the weak spot; the desire to impress and make peace with Scarlet. She was a bitch, but I'd rather she were a bitch and not mess with my boyfriend, than to have her constantly on my rear.

Sighing, a hint of regret in the actions I chose, I stood up and slipped my phone back into my bag.

"Let's go." I said, before shooting a quick text to Sam, announcing that Noah had offered me and the other girls a ride to Scarlet's brunch, and I chose to come along.

- - -

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for reading this book, and enjoying it if that's the case. Secondly, although I did update, I cannot make any promises about continuing this book regularly. Thank you so much for your patience and comments, and I know it's been over 4 years, so a lot is to change from then... Stay safe :)