13

-1 week before college-

"Hey, (Y/N). What are you doing?" My mom knocked on my open door, holding a tray of tea. I gestured her to come in, so she shuffled her feet towards me, who sat by my desk. I was scrolling through community service programs offered at the college, a good way to spend time. I had just spent the entire break packing, and preparing for college, well, I still am. 

It was difficult to communicate with Sam. We tried our hardest, but I'd usually leave the call, or reply a day later from how busy I had been. I wanted for my first year of college to be perfect. 

But at the same time, I felt empty, I missed him. 

Even if his brother is all over the media, with him by his side, seeing pictures of him didn't help. Our calls lasted hours, honestly, I never expected this to work. He was so sweet on them, too.

He'd ask me about my day, and when he told me about his, I could tell he was smiling. He sent me good morning and good night texts; we had the same timezone, and soon, same country.

"Looking for some community service program." I answered my mother's question. My mind was buried in my thoughts, therefore I forgot to answer for her. My mom leaned over, and scanned the screen as I scrolled down the different options.

"How about that one?" Her finger pressed against the screen, a habit of her I disliked. I swatted her hand away, and eyed the option she found. 

"You want me to volunteer at an animal shelter?" I raised an eyebrow. She shrugged, but continued it as a nod. I took a sip of the tea she had given me, and set it back down.

"Why not? You love animals, (Y/N)." 

I rolled my eyes at the comment. That was when I was small. In addition, a shelter will have enough volunteers already.

"No thanks. It'll be full anyways." I scrolled past it, and stopped again to look at the new choices. 

One in particular caught my eye. It had a fancy logo, and when I went to look at pictures, it was classy and neat. 

The name of the place was Willow Ridge.

A retirement home for elders.

I smiled at the thought. Helping out with seniors, and basic needs, including entertainment, sounded nice. Hearing their individual stories, about their older days, the adventures they had before retiring into this home. I found it really inspiring, and therefore signed up to go every day after class.

"Is that the one you wanted?" My mom asked. I nodded, and a small smile spread on her lips. 

"Sweet. I'm going to go make lunch." She took the empty cups of tea, and left my bedroom.

I felt the sudden need to call Sam. I always felt an urge to tell him everything. He was such a good listener.

I sent him a text, asking if he was busy. A few minutes later, he replied.

Sam: Nope :) (1:27pm)

Me: Wanna call? (1:28pm)

Before he said anything, his name appeared on my screen, as my phone began to vibrate. 

I smiled at the sight, and picked up.

"Hello?" I heard him say. I immediately smiled at hearing his voice.

"Hi Sam." 

"Wow, we haven't been able to call in so long. I missed your voice." He chuckled, I still felt that he was smiling after that.

"I missed you too." 

"How's your day been?" he asked.

"I signed up for a community service program at my college. It involves helping elders. I signed up because I just find their stories so interesting, and well, I'm a curious person. Other than that, I haven't been doing anything, because I finished all my preparations for college. How about you?"

"Well, I too, finished preparing. Next week I'll be meeting my roommates, and well, moving in to my shared apartment. It's going to be like, 5 in total, so I have no clue what to expect. Today I haven't been doing anything though." 

I felt a sudden spark of hope light inside me. This couldn't be purely coincidental. He can't have the same amount of roommates and meet them at the same time. If it is, that we do go to the same college, then clearly we haven't been communicating enough. 

"Sam... What college did you say you're going to again?"

- - -

Guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1K Reads! At first I just wrote this book for fun, and uploaded the first chapter. I didn't expect for anyone to read it. Thank you to everyone who's been voting for my stories, it means a lot to me, it shows me you're enjoying the book. This update was a little boring, but I promise, things will get better. Thank you for reading, love you~