I Attempt to Write Franziska von Karma

Franziska looked at herself in the mirror of her bathroom one more time after she washed her face with cold water. She had fallen asleep at her desk in her room at Gatewater Hotel, finishing her paperwork from her latest trial. She was exhausted, she didn't have a good night's sleep since a few weeks ago, when her brother called her to tell her the news.

Gregory Edgeworth was alive.

She recalled Miles' excited tone as he called her, telling her of the literal miracle that transpired. His father has been put in a coma by Franziska's very own papa. While this outcome was very much desired over the defense attorney's death, it did not stop the guilt from washing over her.

While Franziska's logical side knew that one should only apologize and feel guilt for their own actions, another part of her couldn't help but feel like she had to make up for her papa's sins. Her papa has hurt so many people...Thanks to him, Phoenix Wright has cardiac arrhythmia, simply because her father decided to taser him when he was doing his job, Maya Fey also now has a permanent scar right above her elbow, from the same stun gun. Gregory Edgeworth, as she has just found out, has been in a coma and wasted a good portion of his life in a hospital bed. So many innocent people died because of him and his twisted methods. And Miles, her foolish little brother...

He had it the worst out of all of them...He suffered both emotional and physical abuse from her father. Her papa loathed him, and he make sure to let him now in almost every action. Despite that they both used to idolize him...What fools they both were...Ignoring all of the red flags in favor of competing with each other. Striving for the approval of a man who only cared about himself as they both suffered in silence. 

The DL-6...Its resolution is probably what broke him...what broke them both. The man they both looked up to was a murderer. The one who was supposed to put criminals away was a criminal himself. What a joke...And for what? A perfect record? He tried kill a man over a penalty...What would he have done if he actually lost? That whole incident was the biggest wake up call she ever received. She took the time to rearrange her thoughts and prod at the issue. Unfortunately by the time she decided to diverge from her father's twisted path, her brother wasn't available anymore. 

She remembers vividly when the news of that letter have reached her. "Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth chooses death." She had been furious at the beginning. How dare he?! How dare he leave her behind again?! Then came a huge wave of sadness as she realized that she might never get to see her foolish little brother again. Then the anger came back, this time at Phoenix Wright. It was his fault her brother was dead! His fault everything went up in flames! His fault for-......uncovering the truth. She wonders if this was what Miles felt like, when everything came crashing down right before his eyes...

Then Miles returned and Franziska didn't know what to do anymore...She couldn't get revenge for him, she couldn't even keep her perfect record. At the time she was angry that her brother could even insinuate that there is something bigger than winning in court. However on the plane ride to Germany she realized she had nothing left to lose...so she might as well try the path of truth.

Once she reached Berlin she started reviewing all of her trials, all 87 since she was prosecutor at 13. In 2 of them, she unknowingly used forged evidence provided by her papa. She should consider herself lucky it was only 2, she heard Miles had 27 out of 200. 

For a while she even dared consider herself happy. Everything was going well, her little brother was happy, he was engaged. Everything was going so well!

So why? Why did she feel so bad right now? She should be happy that Gregory Edgeworth was alive, right? She should be happy that her little brother got his father back. She is happy that her little brother got his father back. But if she is happy...why? Why is she having these nightmares?

Since finding out about Gregory Edgeworth she has been plagued by these horrific dreams. Every single night it was the same. The courthouse elevator, Miles was standing there, unconscious, on the ground. Suddenly she picks up the gun and shoots him. 

She knows she would never do that! She cares about him too much! And yet-.....and yet-

Tomorrow she's supposed to meet Miles' father and she could not be more anxious. From what Miles told her, his father was a kind and patient man. He said they would get along. However he doesn't actually know that. Would his father really want to meet her? The daughter of the man that took so much from him? The progeny of the monster that ripped him from the chance of raising his own son? 

Guess she won't find out until tomorrow. Franziska got under the covers of the bed from her hotel room after she plugged her phone in the charger. Normally she stays over at Miles' apartment when she's in LA. However this time it felt inappropriate... As such she checked in a room here.  

The small clock on wall read 5:35am. She was meeting Miles and his father for lunch at one of the restaurants near the courthouse. Hopefully she can get some shut eye before then.

Franziska von Karma was not her father. But did everyone else also see that?

...

By some miracle Franziska managed to get some sleep. Not much, seeing as her alarm woke her up at 8:30am. But still, it was something. She spent most of her morning working. She wasn't one for brooding, she'd rather be productive. At around 11:30 am she started getting ready.

This was a casual outing so it was no reason for her to come in her court attire. She decided to wear a turquoise button down with long black pants and white stilettos. She threw on a white jacket that she wore on her shoulders and left the premise in her dark blue convertible. At 12:00 on the dot she entered the restaurant, punctuality was expected of a von Karma.

Her little brother picked an elevated terrace to meet at. After reaching the designated floor she spotted their table in the corner. It had a perfect view of the courthouse. Franziska took a deep breath as she went to greet her little brother and his father.