Chapter 5 - A Hero's Life

Gabriel made a point to know who was who in the Hero world, so he knew that the Supers that were sprinting down the entrance hall dodging gauss rounds were the real deal. Strike Force Beta of the Houston Sentinels.

Strike Force Beta was famous for getting people out of impossible situations. They took part in the assault on New Seattle and made it through without losing a single member. Not many Strike Forces could boast that when Mechablitz were involved.

The Heroes' charge was led by Terra, a Class 4 with a body made of jade-colored stone. She was 7 feet tall, weighed just over a ton, and could regenerate damage to her nonorganic limbs. An imposing sight, sprinting down the hallway deflecting the rounds meant for her companions. Her heavy steps dented the metal floor under her advance.

Following Terra was Quickdraw. The leader of the group and a Class 4 speedster, meaning she only had Class 4 reflexes.

She was petite, standing 4'11" at most, and she wore a reinforced cloak. Despite her lower-end strength and light armor, she'd proved more than a match for the Blitz in New Seattle with her plasma pistols.

Of the local Heroes, it was Quickdraw that Gabriel most looked up to. Her works of charity and kindness to her fans had earned her a spot in the hearts of many.

Behind Quickdraw was a man Gabe recognized as much from the public files on the Sentinels as he did from the tabloid articles about him. Helios styled himself a modern Greek god, wearing nothing but a toga and a large gold chain.

He'd mastered the disdain a god could have for mortals and had a track record of insulted politicians, and fans a mile long. A few tabloids had once speculated over whether or not his flame manifestation abilities were related to his genetic baldness, but they were all firebombed weeks after releasing said theories to the public.

Helios had stood trial and served time in prison, but had since reformed. Needless to say, the articles stopped.

Helios flew along behind the first two Supers, looking bored. Flames coated his stocky frame, melting the bullets missing Terra leaving the rounds weak enough to break against his Class 3 skin. He would lob a ball of fire every so often to cover their advance.

Long-Arm, the youngest member of the Strike Force, was initiated shortly before the short-lived conquest of New Seattle.

He proved himself adroitly, using his stretching ability and quick Class 3 reflexes to take hundreds of injured infantry away from the front lines to safety. He brought up the rear, his already long legs extending unnaturally, allowing him to keep pace with a walk.

His elasticity was on full display, his facial features distorting with every piece of shrapnel he stretched away from.

The guards spent what seemed to be hundreds of Gauss rifle rounds as the Heroes advanced down the long corridor. Each of Helios' blasts sent them scrambling.

As the Strike Force neared, the guards ran to the safety of the training room behind them. Gabriel followed them inside by camera and watched them set up a firing line in a semi-circle around the entrance.

The leader stood calming his men and readying them for the coming fight. "The moment those bastards come through that door, you light 'em up you hear me?!" His gravelly voice echoed in the empty room.

They were all equipped similarly, encased in power armor with Gauss rifles and high-grade plasma grenades at their hips.

The captain's suit looked more bulky, meaning that it was likely more powerful. He also seemed to have foregone the rifle in favor of a Gauss light machine gun.