Chapter 13 - Alfred

Falco guffawed, "What a show-off! He comes in through the elevator, and then he just decides it's not cool enough for him?"

"Either way, you would do well to show him respect, Speedster." Responded Lilith, "He could end you with a thought." She finished darkly.

"HA! If Zero were the type of guy that would end any of his pupils, I don't think he would have stocked the fridge with so much gelato. No way he can finish it all by himself." Falco replied joyfully.

"Anyway, I feel like going to get something to eat. Anyone else game?" He looked between Gabriel and Lilith.

Lilith made a face. "Hmph. I have more training to do, unlike you, Falco. I'm leaving." She sauntered towards the open elevator, and one of the tiny robots moved to ask her where she needed to go. A moment later, Gabriel and Falco stood alone in the room with their respective guides.

"So...food?" Falco asked.

"Sure! I worked up quite an appetite fighting Lilith. That girl is scary. I am wondering why she was hell-bent on getting out of here so fast, though." Gabriel answered.

"Haha, Gabe, that one's easy! She's pissed off she lost to you!"

"What do you mean? We both killed each other."

"Yeah, you did kill each other, so technically, she did beat you. Lilith is the overachiever, though. She always has been. That means your fight with her in the simulation wasn't just a draw; it was the first one-on-one fight that Lilith has ever lost. At least, as far as I know. Plus, you didn't even take any of the tests that we had to! Little miss perfect is probably ripping her hair out right now over letting you kill her, however strange that sounds."

Gabriel thought for a moment before speaking. "I do see your point. I just wish we would've started on a better foot. I don't want our team placed in danger because of pride."

Falco chuckled. "Dude, Lilith will be over it by tomorrow. She is the type that always comes back swinging twice as hard. She might be judgemental and prissy sometimes, but that girl is a real Hero."

A glint formed in his eyes, "Just watch yourself. The next duel will probably end with your head on the floor. In a simulated - but still super painful - way."

Before Gabriel could respond with his own playful jab, Falco started toward the guide robots. "Let's get some food, shall we?"

As he neared, the robot closest to him asked his preferred destination. When he said that both men headed to the cafeteria, the second robot spoke to the first.

"I will guide my friend and his companion to the restaurant. You may go."

Gabriel started, realizing he had assumed the droid he befriended was just another robot. The first guide moved to the wall and folded inwards, ending up looking quite like a trash can. That must be their rest mode. He thought.

"Hello Gabriel, it is a pleasure to see you again, friend. Please follow me to the dining area." The little robot said, waving his arm in greeting as he boarded the elevator. Falco and Gabriel followed him in, and the lift quickly shot up once again.

"Why are we going up? I would have thought the mess hall would be on the first floor." Gabriel asked.

The robot said, "The powers that be deemed it a priority to maintain the mental health of Heroes as thoroughly as possible. Part of that effort involved the construction of the restaurant on the top floor of the Spire to allow for the most pristine and calming views while eating."

"Oh, thank you." Gabriel hadn't expected such a simple answer. The dining hall was up because it had a nice view. He reminded himself that it was always good to relax every once in a while. He couldn't let himself forget that.