Chapter 14 - The Saviour

Left alone with his first friend, Alfred asked, "What would you care to do now, Gabriel? I can lead you to a suitable location, whatever your wishes."

Gabriel knew that his teammates were right about training, and he considered reserving a simulation room for himself. He finally decided that physical training was not his most important priority. During the fight with Lilith, and as pointed out by Zero, Gabriel had no chance to activate his AM Cannon, even with a Neural Link to his suit. His armor also needed an upgrade; Lilith's powered mace destroyed his chest piece too quickly. That meant heading towards a lab, but he would need his tools.

"Alfred, are my belongings still in my room?" The robot nodded its eye. "Could you have them transferred to a vacant lab? I would like to tinker with my suit."

"Certainly, Gabriel, I will have my brethren take care of it for you. I believe there is a lab not far from your room. Please follow me."

The elevator zipped back to the first floor. The pair walked past Gabriel's room and around a corner when they came into earshot of someone yelling. It was muffled, but they were apparently displeased. As they passed a room, the door slid open behind them.

Out stormed the shouting woman, still on a comm-call. She walked behind them, yelling obscenities at her WristPad.

A weak voice could be heard on the other side, inquiring something. "I'll be right there, I said! Don't touch anything, and don't move. You've already fucked up enough as it is." The tall woman quickened her step, mumbling.

Passing Alfred and Gabriel, she huffed. "Get out of the way!"

She shoved Gabriel aside and propelled him into the wall, cracking it. She was enormous, easily 8 feet tall, covered in scars, and wearing a brown fur vest that matched her hair.

The giant kept walking when Alfred rolled up behind him. "That was not kind, Grizzly. Please, apologize to Gabriel." Gabriel recognized the name. Grizzly was one of the leaders of the Sentinels. He hadn't heard she was just as angry in person as she was on video.

Grizzly turned and smirked at Alfred. "A robot asking me to apologize? To some nobody?"

Alfred beeped. "His name is-"

"I couldn't care less what his name is. And you... tin can, here's what I think of your apology." She hefted Alfred by his eye cam and smashed him against the wall. Parts and scrap flew by Gabriel's face. He was too stunned to move.

Grizzly scowled at him, "Don't bother me again." With that, she turned and stomped down the hall.

Gabriel considered striking back at the woman, but he was likely outmatched. Grizzly also authority to expel Gabriel from the Sentinels. He could do nothing, insides seething with frustration. He stared at the floor, and grief took over. Kneeling next to the Alfred's remains, he heard a noise coming from a small copper cube.

It was the droid's voice replicator. "Gabriel? Are you there?"

Gabriel startled but quickly responded, overjoyed his friend had survived. "Yes, Alfred, I'm here."

"Grizzly destroyed my body, it seems. Such a shame, I had been coming to enjoy your company."

Gabriel didn't understand why it was such a shame; surely he could find Alfred another body. "Your central processing unit must be alright if you can still communicate. Where can I find you a replacement chassis?"

The robot let out a sigh, a sound Gabriel had not yet heard him make. "It is not that simple. You asked before who the Custodians were, and I answered with our reason for being. I did not tell you that - after the first invasion - the Government decided AIs are too unpredictable.