Chapter 19 - Those are just the Babies

Gabriel shook his arms, thankful for the lack of pain. He saw Falco touching his face and sighing in relief. His friend walked to the fridge and pulled out two bottles of water. 

He tossed one to Gabriel and sat down on the couch. "That was... intense, to say the least." 

Laughing, Gabriel grabbed a chair from the table. "Yeah, it was that. I'm all for these simulations, but killing my friends with my bare hands isn't sitting too well with me, to be honest."

"You know I was thinking that too. When you grabbed my neck, I was like, 'oh shit, it's done.' I do give you props for having the stomach to actually do it. Those trees are hard." He laughed and took a glug of water.

"No duh. That's why we used wood to build things, genius."

The friends shared a smile, but Falco grew severe a moment later. "How... did you do that anyway?"

"How did I do what?"

Falco's eyes grew wide. "All of it! You kept up with me the whole time! When I fought Quartz yesterday, I wasn't even trying. Granted, it got me killed, but I was pretty much dancing circles around him.

Today I gave it 100%, and you still blocked or dodged a lot of my attacks. So... how'd you do it?"

He hadn't counted on Falco noticing, but he might as well inform his teammates about Alfred. Considering Falco already knew Alfred, this would be quick. "Well, to answer your question, I have to tell you what happened last night after we split up." He began.

Falco listened intently to the story, insisting on breaking Grizzly's face in Alfred's honor. After he was caught up, Falco looked at Gabriel with an open expression. "So he's here right now?" He asked.

"Yes, he is part of me as well as the suit. In some ways, he will always be here." Gabriel responded, unsure of how his friend would take the news that he was now part machine.

"Alfred, How's it goin'?"

Alfred's voice went out over the suit's speakers. "I am well, Falco, thank you for asking. I would actually say that I've never been better, now that I have friends. I would also like to apologize about how Gabriel and I crushed you alive."

Falco shuddered. "All good, Al, don't worry about it. If anything, you guys just showed me you have the strength to watch my back. But Gabe, is that what Zero needed to talk to you about?"

So... total acceptance? Gabriel could work with that.

"Yes, actually. Zero figured it out by just watching my movements, but that wasn't the only thing he wanted to discuss." Gabriel opted to not divulge Dr. Atomic's similar situation out of respect, even feeling that Falco wouldn't betray his trust.

"What was the other thing?" Falco asked.

"Zero wanted to tell me he picked me as Captain."

Falco broke out into a massive grin. "Congrats, bro! I mean, I kind of thought that what would happen after you took charge against Zero and Lilith just rushed in, but you totally deserve it! It's a pleasure to have you lead us." He stood and extended his hand to Gabriel, who shook it, even if his insides felt weak.

"Thank you, Falco. Do you think Lilith will take the news badly?"

"Without a doubt, but Zero has proven more than capable of handling her. There is no way she'll just ignore your orders because then it's on her. We went through the same training."

That was reassuring. Gabriel didn't relish a confrontation with a perfectionist. Thinking of the following team training session brought Gabriel's mind back to the session they were taking a break from.