Chapter 33 - Truer Colors

The villains standing before Gabriel had no idea death awaited nearby; Janus stood but feet away. The cloaked Super raised both antimatter gauntlets, Janus wouldn't know what hit him. Before he could execute, Alfred's panicked voice brought him out of his hunting daze.

Initiating emergency file transfer. DON'T MOVE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dossier: Calamity

Classified Mutations: Class 6 Strength, Class 4 Toughness, Class 4 Speed.

Special Abilities:

Ruin*
Any hostile action intended for Calamity will experience a catastrophic failure.

Activation Type: Automatic

Area of Effect: 100 meters

Uptime: Approximately 2 minutes of combat - varies based on intensity.

Power Transfer

Calamity can absorb one other Super's special abilities through physical contact at a time.

Uptime: Indefinite, until she replaces her Transferred skill.

*Ruin loses effectiveness when Calamity uses Transferred abilities.

**Presumed KIA by Red Global; body never recovered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfred's voice was an anchor in the storm. Anything you throw in her direction will fail. You'd disintegrate yourself if you shoot now.

Gabriel grit his teeth. Patience would make sense of the situation - he'd find his window.

"Part 1? You're counting your own steps wrong. We 'neutralized all resistance' already. Activate the portal." Calamity mimicked Janus.
Her mocking irked Janus. His eyes bulged, his head twitched, and Calamity let out a yelp.

As she fell to her knees, Janus leaned down and squeezed her face tightly. "You will remember your place, animal. You are nothing, save a means to an end. Don't forget why I pulled you from the wreckage - why I changed your face and planted you back into the Sentinels - after your 'friends' here abandoned you in the Rockies. You have one purpose, and it is NOT. Telling. ME. What. To. Do!"

The fear in her eyes seemed to satisfy any need Janus had for a response. He tossed Calamity aside like a toy. "I see now that if I'd left this up to you, I'd be finding new help by morning. You forget who we're dealing with." Janus sneered and spat Zero's direction. "Though he seems to be having more trouble than expected."

Zero's eyes locked onto Janus, who gave a tiny start. His face made it clear that it wasn't from fear. He smacked his lips, eyes wild like he was relishing the possibility of Zero breaking his restraints.

"Taking a while to code your way out of that Time-Warp? It took me years to get the hang of your little parlor trick. If you don't hurry up," he signaled Calamity closer, "your silver sidekick here won't be 'kicking' much longer."

He howled at his own joke, then flickered over to the horn-shaped stalagmites while Calamity moved next to Omicron Beta. "Let's see how you take Bulwark's Quakes while your molecules are trapped."