Chapter 8: The Brother

Xenon Cortiana de Sylvion is the 'miracle child' of the Cortiana family. He is called that because they conceived him when the second duchess was in her menopause for years. Unlike the stoic duke, Xenon is always cheerful and brimming with positivity, even as he grew older. His relationship with Elysia was a complicated one in the story. Before the story started, he was hopeful of their relationship just like his mother, but as years passed by, he realized how narrow-minded his sister was and thus ignored her up until her execution.

     In the story, he was one of the potential love interests of the female lead character as her knight. I knew xenon as the red knight, loyal to the kingdom's red rose.

     I have no intention of being the heir and having the position of Duchess of Sylvion, especially since Ely-.. I am not blood-related with the Duke, so I plan to pass it on to him. If I befriend him, I would likely be more certain that my plan will work. So, obviously, I answered the duchess, "If Xenon wants to, I'd be happy to have him as my escort."

     As a female debutante, you are expected to attend with an escort. If you have no romantic attachments such as a political engagement, you are most likely to be with a family member.

     There was no mention of the social ball where Elysia debuted in the story so I am a bit relaxed but there is still a lingering nervousness that something might go wrong. I just hope that I don't attract too much attention, but considering Elysia's track record, it will most likely not go as smoothly as I'd like.

     "Of course!!" The duchess' voice surprised the people around and as she realized this, she cleared her throat. "I mean, I imagine he'll be over the moon when he hears of this."

A chuckle escapes my lips. So cute.

     The duchess' eyes go wide and a servant just dropped a plate. Everyone inside has a gaping mouth. What?

Oh... I totally forgot. Supposed to be a ruthless character. Ahem!

    "Uhmm, your grace, I have something to tell you." The awkwardness radiates throughout the room. 

"Yes. Go on, dear."

     "I know that I have been neglecting my duties as the heir of the duchy and that I have burdened you with additional work on top of being the mistress of the manor." I look her straight in the eyes with a faint smile. "I also have been disrespectful towards your grace and the people of the manor. For that, I am deeply regretful. I apologize."

     A long and eerie silence followed. The disbelief on every servant's face and the hitched breathing of the person in front of me seemed to last an eternity. Then, the duchess started sobbing. I stood up abruptly and leaned on her side. "I-i know that what I've done was unacceptable and I won't expect an answer. Your grace, please stop crying."

     Oh no. Did I do something wrong? Dammit, I'm so sensitive when it comes to things like this. I cry every time someone cries!

     I can sympathize with the woman. She always wanted a daughter and when she was introduced to Elysia, she desperately wanted to believe that she would also look to her as a mother. Instead, Elysia rejected her invitations, slapped her when they got into an argument and looked at her as if she was the most disgusting thing to have ever existed. Yet, despite everything Elysia did, she hoped to love her as one of her own.

     With every ounce of my emotional strength, my eyes start to well up and I could not stop the tears from flowing. The duchess hugged me and we both started to cry in each other's arms.

     Ever since I realized I was a character from my novel, there was this gaping hole in my heart. Questions whether or not I can return to my original self. Whether or not I died. Emotions of anxiousness, deep regret, and a sense of longing. It still haunts me that I may never return to everything I am.

     So, hugging the duchess was the last straw. I can feel her warmth surrounding me, surrounding my heart. This may be temporary but anything to fill this loneliness is everything I could hope for right now.

Inside the office of the duke...

"Your Grace, Lady Elysia requests a private meeting with you and the duchess. It is regarding her responsibilities as the heir apparent."

The duke looked at him stone-faced. "Why would she want to discuss that?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -