Chapter 19: The Return

A luxurious stagecoach halts outside the massive gates of the Cortiana Manor. A young man in the uniform of a long-skirted coat, waistcoat, and breeches in colors of purple and black comes out of the transport with two more men of the same age and clothing. The people greet with warmth the group as they pass by. Outside of the main house, the butler and the housekeeper nod their head in greetings and face the man in the middle. 

The butler goes first. "It is my greatest pleasure to welcome the young master back. I hope your journey was smooth and without trouble."

"I am quite alright, Linus." He politely says and turns to the young man beside him, grimacing. "I can't say the same of Milan here, though." The young man points to his left side to a very exhausted person with dark circles underneath his green eyes typically associated with moss and ivy. The young man called Milan has distinct blue hair that would remind some of the endless depths of the oceans that would reach his shoulders. He has a lithe body and is tall in terms of men his age. 

"Lord Milan, we can arrange for the healers. I ask that you should recuperate for the rest of the day." Linus shifts his attention toward the visibly ill young man. "I can handle a day before I reach my limit, Linus. I appreciate the concern.", Milan replies.

"We should go and greet the duke and duchess. They may be wondering why we arrived late." The other young man chimed in, nodding towards the manor. The third teenager has wide shoulders and a visibly tough exterior accompanied by his boyish expression. He has hair that would seem like it caught fire underneath the rays of the sun because of its extreme vermilion. His sharp eyes are a contrast to his hair as it would seem hazy because of his stormy gray eyes.

The housekeeper shifts around in place, something bothering her but sighed and chose to say silent. 

Everyone hurriedly steps inside but was greeted with a weird atmosphere, nothing blatant just the subtle movements and interactions between the staff. "Is something going on?"

"Pardon, young master? Whatever is the problem?" The butler acknowledges the young man's visibly confused face. "Is someone visiting? Why is everyone so tense?" he answers the butler's inquiries with another question. 

The butler perks up and stiffens. He glances around to see that everyone is indeed walking as if the floor was full of eggshells. He then turns towards the housekeeper and she glances away.

"I apologize, young master. If I may express my opinion, the manor has seen some changes these past few days and the staff is still adjusting." the butler bows and the one with fiery hair and gray eyes narrow his eyes down towards the butler. 

A hand lands on his shoulder and he looks up to see the so-called young master. "Lyndon, I think he speaks the truth. No need to be dubious. Linus is a trusted member of the manor."

Lyndon relaxes a little and sighs. "If you say so, Xenon."

As I was making my way toward my room, Alaina rushes from the other side of the corridor and bowed clumsily

As I was making my way toward my room, Alaina rushes from the other side of the corridor and bowed clumsily. "My lady! Urgent news! The young master is back!"

I expected this, quite frankly and I thought he was going to arrive earlier. Something must have happened. "I shall go and meet with him."

"He has guests along with my, my lady."