Chapter 13: The Boy

"Lass, what the hells happened? I's thought you'd be more resilient than this."  He inspects me and sighs loudly. "You's stronger than most of the folk I know but your body moves so awkwardly, seems like you's forgotten everythin' I taught!"

     "Apologies, grandfather. It has been quite a while since we last fought." I smiled back at him apologetically. Seems like this body is strong but I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing.

"There is something I'd like to ask of you, grandfather."

     "How I wish that would be to train with me, eh, lass?" He puts a hand on my shoulder. "But I's know you like it outside the action, a shame!"

     "Well, the truth is, I wish to train with you once again." His smile falters and a brow rises. 

     "I's think the alcohol in me is still workin' wonders, lass. I's think I heard ya wrong!" He shakes his head and laughs. I stare at him and he narrows his gaze. "Are ya serious, lass?"

"I am, grandfather."

"What a time to be alive! Me granddaughter sees what's I's talkin' about! Tell me, lass. What changed yer mind?"

"Hmmm.. one condition."

"oh ho! how bold! a'ight, anything for me granddaughter!"

     "If you think I'm ready to engage in real-life battles, I need grandfather to help me apply for the mercenary guild," I said and the bewildered face the old man shows is a sight to behold.

     One of the main themes in the story of the red rose is fighting and one of the forefront soldiers of the great war between the kingdoms of the continent versus the Ereldian empire are the mercenary groups. One such group garnered the support of the Etherion kingdom for their services that they were bestowed official permits to operate. The mercenary group is called Kuya. They were once a small group of bandits, thieves, and assassins but were enlisted by none other than the Cortiana family of the Sylvion duchy. They were trained to be soldiers, to protect and guard the Kingdom against the Inoi. Once the fight ended diplomatically, grandfather Karim rallied the former criminals and offered them jobs. Duke Xanros then suggested that they should form a mercenary group to be acknowledged by the King.

     They might have been given permission to operate legally by the Kingdom, but they are in no way affiliated. They are considered a private organization and employ people on their own terms. The leader of the group is a man named Asino, a battle-hardened person that took on one of the generals of the Demon King and acted as an advisor of the female lead.

     I had hoped that I would not need to train by assuming that Elysia's body still knows how to fight but judging by how disappointed grandfather Karim is, I need to train fast and hard to meet Asino and apply as a recruit in the mercenary guild. 

     "That ain't possible, lass!" Karim exasperates and holds his head. "I's thought you wanted to join the army, not the mercenary guild!" 

     "I thought you wanted me on the battlefield, grandfather. I just thought that it didn't matter where I start...?" That's weird. I thought he'd be happy to introduce me to the guild considering his attachment to the organization, according to the story?

     "Nay, lass! I's told ye before. I's wanted you on the battlefield 'cause I's wanted the kingdom to know that women are as much as capable as men when it comes to fighting and warfare. Just like yer grandmother and now you!" 

     Karim was born as a noble, the heir of a title with no land. Although poor, Karim's father, a baron, works hard day and night as a royal knight. Young Karim was considered to be a prodigy when it comes to wielding a sword. At the age of 7, Karim was chosen to be a page of a Duke in the north. He could not recall what the name of the duchy was but his father had told him how strong of a knight the duke is and how he admired him.

     The journey towards the north is a grueling one, heaps of snow pile up and reach up to the height of an average adult. The roads are inlaid with special runes to defend against the pile. This however did not come with a heating spell. Rubbing his hands together, Karim looks out of the window of the carriage and notice how silent the snowy woods are. Calls of birds and animals whisper all throughout the ride and the harrowing winds manage to trickle inside the carriage. Karim thought of how grim the place could be if this is what the environment is like. He could see how hard it must have been for the soldiers and knights to train here. 

     After some time, they have arrived at the manor where the duke's family resides. They are greeted by a dozen servants and as they continue towards a large door, he could see that they were not the only families there. About five sets of parents with a young boy were present. All of them with different expressions, varying from excited to downright shaking. A teenager in a black suit and tie approaches us and asks everyone to follow him into another location. 

     The teenager politely tells us to enter a large double-door. Inside of it, three people are at the center of the room, two of which are imposing figures that sit atop two intricate chairs made out of gold, one chair much more elevated than the other. The person that sits on it is a man with rusty blonde hair and a glaring violet set of eyes directed towards each of the families present. Sitting on the other chair is a woman with coal-black hair and green eyes, she sits beside another person standing. The one standing is a girl with the same black hair as the woman but has violet eyes like the man. The girl stands proudly and her smile seemed like an anomaly. The north has been very cold, blue, and depressing but seeing her smile, Karim can't help but forget about where he is. She reminds the young boy of summer, of warmth, and of everlasting joy.