Chapter 16: The Verdict

Weakness no.1: When pissed, I tend to be amorous and tease the person in front of me.

     I don't willingly do it but I am guilty of feeling joy when I do it. For example, the crisis I am in right now.

     Pulling the prince's two hands with my left paw and his tilted chin with the other while I am on top of him. His body facing the floor, his face is dripping with sweat, and is so red while struggling to keep his eyes shut. I know, this picture is pretty humiliating for the prince but I can't help but smile wickedly.

     A beat passes and all I can hear are gasps and others trying to hide a laugh. Suddenly, I realize the position that we're in and let go of him. He pushes his weight off the ground and raises his flustered face. "H-how dare you!"

     "Well, y-youdidaskforit." I wistfully smile and scratch my chin.

     After that day, whenever I pass by him, he always wages battle with me, and every time, he just loses and ends up in embarrassing positions. It's not to say that the prince is awfully weak but I have adapted to the training and sparring with grandfather. Also made particularly easy with how amazing Elysia's body is.

     "My lady, shall we depart for the duke's *chancery?" Mir hovers around my side and bows her head appropriately.

*A Chancery is a general term for a medieval writing office.

     I glance a peek at the mirror in front of me and suck in a breath. "Let us go see his grace."

     Passing by the wide corridors, I could sense a change of air, not just physically but metaphorically as well. When I first inhabited this body, everyone was so tense and expectant like they were waiting for me to scold them for the smallest of things. However, this time around, I can feel that people are more relaxed and their looks of fear are exchanged with glances of curiosity. A week is a small period to trust my change of attitude so it is understandable that people are still wary of me but at the least, they are now more friendly and open when greeting me. I hope this is enough to convince the duke of my intentions.

     If he does not accept my change, I can't help but enact my alternative plan. Plan B is to simply escape from the manor and do things the hard way. I would want to swipe a few things in here for money and survival but bringing an expensive item might raise suspicion and unwanted attention.

     I sigh as I face the double doors leading me to a path that could determine how I live my life here. A guard takes a step forward and bows with a hand on his chest. "Lady Elysia Cortiana, his grace, the duke is expecting you." He then takes a hold of the knob and opens the door slightly. "Announcing the presence of Lady Elysia Cortiana."

     A moment of silence that lasted 3 seconds but felt like forever passes and a reply is heard from the inside. "Let the lady in."

     Inside the room full of important-looking documents and books, in the center of it all is the Duke of Sylvion wearing a stern face and standing in front of the desk where I assume is his. "Come in, Elysia. We have no time to waste."

     I curtsy and nod his way. "My sincerest gratitude for granting me this audience, your grace." I take a step forward and face him just a few feet away.

     "As you can probably surmise, the people of this manor did have a change of perspective of your attitude towards them, not that strong but enough for them to look your way." I perk up at the end of his sentence and my breath hitches.

     "From the authority within my showing, I accept your sincerity and grant you the rights of handling the responsibilities as the heir apparent."

     My smile widens and I just barely apprehended myself to break out into a victory dance. "It is as you see fit, your grace. I deeply appreciate this chance you've given me."

     "Tomorrow, I will formally grant the title to you in front of those serving the Cortiana manor. Be ready." He then steps forward and drops a hand on my shoulders. "Do not disappoint me, daughter." He then squeezes my shoulder and faint smile tugs on the lips of the duke.

     I don't really understand the duke now that I'm inside the story I made. He did know that I was not his biological daughter but in the story, I portrayed him as someone prideful and honorable so that is why he intended for Elysia to be his heir regardless of whether he is her father or not. Now that I can see his expression, there is not a trace of contempt, regret, or sense of just duty. I feel that he sincerely cares for Elysia as his daughter. There's also this sadness in his eyes whenever I say sorry. I don't know where it comes from considering how unlikable Elysia has been for the past years.

     As soon as I got to my bed, my body just slumped and melted. All the stress and expectation of what the duke might decide has been weighing on my mind for the past week. All the socializing and planning for the future has got me in the slumps. I'm just glad it paid off and now that I won my first obstacle, the next and the next after that will be more stressful than this.

     I just hope that when the story starts, the changes I've made will have significant positive consequences. I first thought that I will just let the story be while I stay on the sidelines but I know that when I first came here, the story is bound to have changed. There is the saying that the only constant thing in this world is change and I'm not about to fight that.