Chapter 18: The Second Prince of Canton

"ack! huff huff!" I gasp for air when the water shot through the wrong tube. "My Lady, are you okay?" Mir attends to me and hands out a towel. "I am well, Mir. My body's just tired." I assure her and she bows her head to go back to where she was standing.

     Oh my god. Why can't I have the main character buff? My muscles have been torn up like a thousand times just this week and I also need to prepare for the social season. Grandfather has been relentless when it comes to our daily training, which garnered a look of sympathy with the soldiers and the staff. Then, there is the Governess' torture I mean, teaching techniques that reminds me of a drill sergeant, so ruthless. 

     Speaking of the Governess, I met her a week ago, the day after the cardinal acknowledged me as the heir. 

     I was on my way to the library when a chubby, short woman dressed in ornate clothes rushed upon me. "I greet the Lady Elysia Cortiana de Sylvion. I am the Cortiana family's governess, Lilith Anaran de Sylvion." 

     "o-oh. A pleasure, madam. How can I help you?"

     "If I may, my ladyship. It has come to my attention that your attitude towards everyone in the household has become... acceptable." The Governess narrows her eyes and is barely able to suppress scrutinizing the young woman in front of her. "As the governess, I was going to be in charge of your education but... you have barred me from doing my duties." She pauses, trying to assess my reaction, waiting for an outburst.

     "That is simply because of the immaturity caused by my young age. I apologize, madam." The reaction made the madam flinch and her eyebrows shot up in mere seconds, quickly returning to a more neutral expression. I was going to bow my head when she stopped me. 

     "Goodness gracious, my ladyship! What were you going to do? You are a superior, not my subordinate. In this world full of power play, one must know where your position lies. After the social season, you will be sanctioned as Princess Elysia Cortiana de Sylvion, second only to the Crown Prince. You must never bow to anyone except your parents, the royal family, and yourself." 

     "I apolo-" She stomped her feet. 

     "Excuse the impertinence, my lady! Do not ever apologize for such unseemingly mundane things!"

     With that, I was subject to lessons that would put the exams in my world to shame.

     Back to the present, staggering my way towards my room, a hand reaches out to me and rests it on my shoulder

     Back to the present, staggering my way towards my room, a hand reaches out to me and rests it on my shoulder. Nooooo! I was so close to resting on my soft bed!

     "Well, hello there, lady Elysia." I would know that voice from anywhere. "What an unladylike appearance you are having there." 

     I turned around to see the smug look on Canton's 2nd prince, Prince Carion Lotar de Canton. His hair shines green and grows up to his shoulder, complementing the red orbs that are his eyes. Some say that he is the exact copy of the Queen Sovereign of the Canton Kingdom while his twin brother, the first prince, looks like King Consort. The Crown Princess, on the other hand, is the combination of the Queen and the consort. 

     The Canton Kingdom is a matriarchal society and is also a neighboring state and is the most formidable ally of the Etherion Kingdom. There have been multiple marriage allegiances between the two, both in the royal family and nobility. There also has been economic dependability that gets reviewed in the Celestia Summit once every 5 years. 

     "If I'm so unladylike as his highness say, then why are your gazes so attached to mine since this morning?" I lazily looked up and leered at him. 

     "Wh-What are you saying? I was at the right side of the field while you were training with his grace Karim on the far left!" He blurted and I laughed. "Oh? I wonder how you knew where exactly I was."

     "That is beside the point!" 

     I narrow my sight to him and asked, "What do you want from me, your highness?" 

    "I wanted to uhm.. ugh! Can I train with you?" Well, that's surprising. 

     "Why would I?" Just kidding. I can't refuse a royal.

     "You know, Prince, it is not up to me. You should ask my grandfather. After all, he is the one training me." I curtsy and face him. "If you would excuse me, your highness."

     "W-wait!" I turn to face him once again and I can see his fiddly bearing. "C-Can you introduce us....uhm... p-"

     "p.. what, your highness? I could not hear what you were saying." I innocently tilt my head and smile. "...please" 

     "Pardon, Prince Carion, I still could not hear you."

     "Lady Elysia, can you please introduce me to your grandfather, his grace Karim?!" He talked so fast and loud that everyone in the vicinity heard and turned their attention to us.

     "Well, that wasn't so hard, was it?" I giggled and curtsy. "I'll see what I can do, your highness."