Origins

When Abigail and Jacob Griffin found out they were expecting they were on cloud nine.

Jake had just been promoted junior engineer and Abby was weeks away from moving on from nurse to doctor on the medical hierarchy and now their little family was expanding! All in all, it felt like nothing in the world (or outer space as was the case for the Arkers) could bring them down. They had prestigious jobs, a loving spouse and caring parents who were sure to spoil their little one rotten.

But reality has a way of biting one in the ass.

Such was the case nine months later when instead of one new born cry coming out from the ER, two did, changing the fate of the Griffin family forever.

——

Over the course of the next few days proceeding the Griffin Twins birth, Abby and Jake Griffin were at complete loss of how such a thing came to happen. After all, everything in the Ark was acted out with surgical precision and to have twins is simply unheard of as there are procedures in place to deal with those type of pregnancies before the children could even be born. 

But they didn't count a very overprotective father and (future) grandpa when they made those procedures laws for any pregnancy that wouldn't end up with one single and productive member of society.

Apparently Isaac Terrier, Abby's father and the reason she chose to work in the medical field in the first place, realized on the very first month of his daughter pregnancy that his girl was expecting twins and as opposed to let her know and proceed with the mandatory actions to terminate the pregnancy he kept it a secret from everyone, including his wife and the children's parents. He simply didn't have the heart to put his daughter through an abortion he knew she didn't want, so he lied.

Isaac bore it so his loved ones wouldn't have to and when the law enforcers came to his ER seeking explanation for the twin's birth he told the truth. It was his fault and his fault alone and he should be the only one to pay for it.

And so it was.

Except, the Ark couldn't simply let a family have two children. It just wasn't their way and if they allowed one of the most influential families to have two daughters while many were floated for the very same thing. Even if the parents were innocent in this instance.

So, they did what they'd always do. The guilty of the crime of hiding a child would be floated and the second child would be arrested, sent to the skybox as soon as her mother stopped breastfeeding her (as that was the one kindness the council allowed) until the time came for her to tried once she turned 18.

And that was the life of Madison Jake Griffin, arrested before she could even walk properly for the crime of being seven minutes younger than her sister.