New Normal

Madi stood on the edge of the still rising gate as the sun rose, her face turned towards the sky enjoying each second of freedom and silence she could get. She first woke up because of the flaring pain enflaming every inch of her red skin and decided to leave her sister and best friend sleeping while she went in search for water to take her tea. Whatever it was made of, the thing worked, because only minutes after taking it she barely even felt she had a body, let alone that it was hurting.

Now, as the pain faded away with each second passed, she finally took in her surroundings instead of focusing her gaze solely on the beautiful ever changing sky. It was only then she realized the short brunette twirling a knife in her hand while glaring off into the trees, slumped against the incomplete gate with a proverbial cloud over her head.

"Hey, O." Madi greeted as she finally reached the girl. Octavia's only response was a noncommittal noise. "Did you sleep at all last night?" Again the same noise was uttered, and so she took the girl's silence as a sign of her disinterest on the conversation, simply standing by her side on the gate in companionable silence.

"When do you think he's coming back?" Octavia asked out of nowhere.

"When he thinks it's safe for them both." Madi replied while looking into the trees with the brunette. "Saving little girls kinda seems like his thing." She gently pushed the girl's shoulder with her own.

"I'm not a little girl anymore." Octavia glared.

"Which is probably why he left. He must've thought you would be okay in his absence."

"I shouldn't have let him go without me."

"Well, if it were Clarke I'd be freaking out too, but..." Madi hesitated before adding. "knowing your brother the past few days I know he won't just leave you, he's probably planning on singlehandedly overtaking this entire camp only so he can be with you."

"Maybe." Octavia admitted with a little smile. "It's not fair that he makes me worry about him when I'm mad at him."

"It's not." Madi nodded. "Just punch him harder next time you see him."

"I guess I will." Octavia's smile turned into a smirk. "It's not like you'll be able to do so yourself with those bony twigs you call arms."

"I let him win!" Madi whined.

"Sure you did." The brunette mocked.

"Did too."

"O-kay." Octavia snickered. "But hey, on the plus side you look so pathetic with your bruises and bloody bandages that I don't really feel like stabbing you anymore."

"... You felt like stabbing me before?" Madi eyes widened.

"You killed my boyfriend." Octavia said simply, pushing off the fence and reentering the camp, leaving the blonde alone to face her demons.

Soon, Madi realized the camp was starting to wake up and decided made her way to the cooking pit, where most delinquents would go in the mornings as soon as they woke to try and grab whatever sustenance they could. They still had no meat after the fish ran out and the berries were starting to run out as well, meaning they would need to do something about it very soon if they didn't want to starve.