Nasty Surprises

The hunting trip started off alright, which Madi was immensely grateful for: Fox had rejoined the land of the living and went along with then, Monroe and Miller stayed behind to help Octavia keep things working at camp, Clarke was safely behind the walls taking care of Jasper and Monty was trying to fix the communication issue with the Ark.

All in all it was a pretty good and productive start to the day, way better than having to stop Murphy from killing Jasper like the morning before. Or having to stop Bellamy from doing the same like the afternoon before, before they had their little talk.

"Hey, Bellamy." Madi greeted as she made her way to walk besides the man who had been in the very front of their group, leaving Fox to flirt with a blonde boy in the back.

"Madi." He nodded, eyes looking at their surroundings searching for food. "How you doing?"

"Pretty good." She shrugged, Madi appreciated how the boy was apparently making an effort but was still slightly wary of him. "So, I noticed some of our people didn't have wristbands today."

"And?" Bellamy tensed up, looking at her from side of his eyes.

"And... You didn't happen to have anything to do with that, right?" The blonde raised a brow.

"What's in it for you if I did?" The former guard glared. "You said you didn't want them to come down either." He whispered the last part.

"I don't." Madi agreed. "I just... I don't want to be the reason little children died either."

"You won't be." Bellamy caught her eye, the look in his being the most serious Madi had ever seen him.

"Okay."

"Okay." He nodded.

"Which one is Atom?" Madi asked after a few minutes of walking in silence, listening to the sounds of nature in hopes of bumping into their next meal.

"What?" Bellamy looked at her once more, this time with an incredulous air about him. "We don't have to do this, you know? The, uh, awkward talk and stuff we can just... not hate each other."

"I don't hate you." Madi said simply. "And I don't feel awkward talking."

"You should, you're the most awkward person I know." He smirked.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." The girl deadpanned. "Seriously though, which on is Atom? I was hoping to have a talk of my own with him."

"And just what would you like to talk about with him?" The man sighed with a roll of his eyes. "He's a punk who thinks himself good enough for my baby sister."

"She might be your younger sister, but she isn't a baby." Madi tripped over a tree root, Bellamy's quick reflex managing to catch her arm.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean exactly what I said. Octavia is tough, she can make her own choices."

"Clearly she can't." The former guard huffed.

"That's not your call to make. She's been through a lot, she gets to kiss a guy and have her heart broken as long as it's her call."

"What do you know about it?" He glared.

"Really? What do I know?" She looked up incredulous. "I know what it feels like to have all choices stripped away from you simply because you were born, Bellamy Blake. I know what its like to spend your life confined and isolated from everyone. I know what it's like to finally have some freedom and want to explore it."

"Right." He had the decency to look somewhat sheepish. "It's just..."

"You want her to be okay?" Madi suggested.