Friends?

The following morning went on easier than Madi had expected after taking a life for the first (and hopefully last) time, but still harder than she had hoped.

It started with a foul drink to help with her pain and a guilty rant from Clarke about how she couldn't find Wells and how petty he was for not giving her a chance to apologize. That situation was handled when she reminded her sister it was Wells turn to be petty if he wanted to, causing Clarke to shut up and go to the 'med bay' to see if Jasper was up for a walk.

Moving on, Madi was stopped quite a few times by her people to know what measures were being taken about the fog and the grounders, she mainly just glared and told them to keep working on the fence. It took not having Clarke or Octavia by her side to realize how much she had come to rely on both girls- Clarke worked as her moral compass showing her what she should do, but O showed her she could do it, with her bright awestruck eyes and unwavering belief. Unfortunately, Clarke was still moping, helping Jasper walk the drop ship and Octavia was ignoring her.

Then, there were the dirty glares Bellamy spent the whole day shooting her from the edges of the camp. It was creepy and, if she were being honest, annoying. Madi guesses there went their 'truce' was officially over now, and by the black eye he was currently spotting she didn't really blame him for that.

Still, she could handle it. It wasn't until mid morning that things took a really bad turn.

Out of nowhere screams were heard coming from the gates and everyone ran to see what newfound hell the ground would spring on them, Madi included.

So far on the ground each second Madi felt like she was out of her depth, but that was a feeling she was used to. She was raised to be out of her depth because she was raised to die.

But then, she got to the front of the crowd and she saw her sister's best friend lying dead and suddenly she had a new understanding of what being truly out of one's depth felt like. What did she do now? How did she tell Clarke that not only their dad was killed by their mom, but now her best friend, the same boy who got himself locked up to be with her, was killed before they could even truly make up?

So, for what felt like ages she stood there, looking unseeing at the dead boy's corpse until soft hands shook her out of her shock.

"What happened?" Fox asked, hands still around the blonde.

"I don't know."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know."

"What-"

"Fox! I don't know."

"Okay, everybody! Listen up!" Suddenly Bellamy's voice was heard over the crowd's scared screams. "We are handling the situation. Go back to work."

"What?" A boy yelled. "You can't be serious! Look at his neck! He was murdered."

"Yeah, he was." Bellamy nodded. "Which is why the fence is more important than ever now. So work, build the fence, make weapons with whatever you can find, because we will fight back, but to do that we've got to survive." With each word his voice got louder until he was full blown screaming at their people, hyping up the crowd. "First the grounders speared one of our own, now they kill Wells. We'll. Make. Them. Regret. It."

The crowd cheered with an intensity that scared Madi. No one should be that happy about war. Regardless, their vengeful chanting was all it took to snap her out of her haze and make her start moving.

"Greene," The blonde called to a boy nearby. "Start digging a grave, make it close to the others." As he nodded and left she turned to the next person, a girl. "Kepner, take whoever you need to get his body out of here and closer to the graves. I'll get my sister."