Ch. 20 Different

I close my eyes, relishing the way the wind softly kissed my face. Sehun had suggested we go to a nearby neighborhood park. He claimed an open space would somehow meditate me back to normal. I didn't protest, choosing to follow him wherever he chose to lead me.

In the fridge sat a small lunch for two that Sehun had packed the day prior. While laying out the picnic blanket, Sehun confided in me that for the past few days he had been mauling over asking me but was fearful of my answer. It had momentarily made me feel bad about being so uneasy around him these last few weeks, but he assured me that he was inherently an anxious person as it was.

I reached in the woven basket that rested in between us to pull out a pack of grapes to snack on. I didn't exactly have an appetite but the consistent motion of chewing helped me to relax and not be so tense. I couldn't help but think about the first time Jungkook and I had met. It was in a park that looked like this. The memories left a bitter taste in my mouth, the grape turning sour.

"Grapes not really your thing?" Sehun chuckled beside me. I turned to look at him, only now realizing I was indeed scrunching my face in response to the sourness I tasted. I returned his laugh.

"Yeah I guess you could say that."

He caught my eyes, his smile growing wider in appearance. "I've missed that, your laugh. It's been awhile since i've heard it."

I glanced down at my lap, observing the way my dress moved against my thighs in the wind. "Me too." I confessed huffing out of my nose. It truly did feel relieving to experience an emotion other than sadness.

"I've been meaning to ask you, have you heard from Miya at all since before all this happened?" Sehun asked, leaning back to support his weight on his arms.

I internally roll my eyes, a feeling of resentment once again rising on my tongue, the sourness mixing with the sweet juice of the fruit lingering in my mouth.

"Yeah a few times. She seems to be doing just fine." I sarcastically spit out. In reality, I've heard from her many times, but I have yet to respond to any of her texts or calls. To be honest with myself, I felt betrayed by Miya. She was aware of how much Jungkook had meant to me, but she failed to give me even the slightest bit of a warning about her mother?

I rolled over onto my back, crossing my arms, staring at the clouds that weightlessly drifted through the open sky. I envied their existence, seemingly so simple and peaceful compared to my own. Their ability to come and go as the wind blows appeals to my current situation, one that makes me feel glued into place.

"You know, forget I mentioned her. This day is about you." He sat up standing to his feet, brushing off his pants. "I say we go for a walk. I know around this time of year people say there's blackberry bushes that bloom near the treeline. We could pick some if you want." Sehun's persistent nature came off as endearing to me. At that moment I longed to live a normal life, wished that I could go back to how things were before all of this started to happen.

A comfortable warm feeling settled in my chest as I stood up. Then I did something that not only surprised Sehun, but surprised me as well. I reached out and clutched his hand into mine, the warm feeling in my chest growing ever so slightly. My face upturned into the smile it had been showing earlier, as we silently started walking towards where we presumed the berries would be. I kept my gaze downward at our footsteps, watching them move in sync with each other. While I welcomed it with open arms,I was also confused at the sudden feeling of happiness. I had almost forgotten what it felt like; the prominent heaviness in my chest was so profound that it made me forget other emotions could even light a flame to it. I involuntarily let out a giggle as the feeling began to rise through my entire body, I felt almost giddy.