chapter 12

y/n's pov ;;

i felt myself gradually gaining consciousness as my body softly bounced against a flat wooden surface. blinking the sleep out of my eyes, i found myself staring back into Levi's cold gaze, his usual stoic expression placed upon his face as he sat next to me. yet, his eyes were still slightly red from earlier, as the moments back at the orphanage came back into my memory.

a groan left my throat as i pushed myself upwards into a sitting position, bringing a hand up to rub my tired eyes. glancing around me, i noticed the scenery around had changed from where we were before i fell asleep. the hard wooden surface below me was sort of a wagon, being led by a horse, and we were now outside the walls, moving rather quickly. i had guessed we were making our way back to the HQ.

"we're retreating back to HQ." Levi confirmed my thoughts.

,it's nice to hear his voice again...' i thought to myself.

"...i'm sorry." he said abruptly, albeit quietly.

"what for?"

"for taking you to that place. i thought you'd be safer there." he explained, glancing off to the side as if he were too nervous to look at me.

"i didn't expect for titans to attack that place, otherwise i would've kept you with me."

"oh." i was unsure how to answer, still not understanding why he didn't let me stay with him in the beginning.

we sat in silence for a moment, neither of us knowing what was appropriate to say next.

i took a deep breath and finally spoke up, "i-it's okay, you didn't know. i didn't know either. i, uhm, i don't think anyone did."

,that was a real awkward way to say that.' i inwardly scolded myself.

Levi let out a sigh, making me drop my shoulders in relief, and he let a smile grace his lips for a second, before he straightened it back to it's usual emotionless expression.

we remained in a silence once again, although this time it was considerably more comfortable than earlier.

levi's pov ;;

it was nice to know that (y/n) didn't hate me after that ordeal. it was stupid of me to think that was a good idea, obviously they'd be safer in a place full of people who are trained to fight off titans. whatever, now's not the time to think about that.

i stared at the brat out of the corner of my eye, watching as they were seemingly zoned out and stuck in their own thoughts. out of everyone, they're who i least expected myself to get this attached to. yet, i can't help but feel the need to protect them from any possible dangers from the world, especially all they've been through already.

a loud noise echoed through the air, drawing my attention towards the sky. a black signal flare had been set off, signifying that an abnormal titan had been spotted. a wave of dread came over me. i brushed the feeling off, assuring myself we'd be fine, as long as i kept an eye on (y/n)...

( this is probably completely ooc im so sorry 😧 )
( next chapter is gonna come really soon because i got a bunch of inspiration of what to write !! )