Chapter Seven

Shortly after going to the hideout and staying the night, the place was plagued with the Inquisition. The four had to escape during the cover of the night and go to the castle. 

She and her brother had once again gotten separated due to the chaos.

The girl sighed as she continued walking, the group of four had been walking for at least an hour and she was tired of the constant moving and wanted nothing more than to take a rest. 

She was relieved when she saw Lucas, however, that changed when she saw the display in front of her.

"It's Lucas!" Hugo whispered excitedly.

Her heart clenched at the sight of her brother being caught in the grasp of a guard.

"Hurry. Knock his helmet," Mélie whispered to Amicia. Amicia took out her herbs and aimed them in her sling. 

The guard hissed in pain before throwing off his helmet and gripping Lucas by the back of his collar. He took out his sword. 

Y/N reacted faster than she could think, she aimed her bow and shot the guard. 

A sickening... 

Squelch!

Echoed out in the otherwise quiet area. Y/N ran over to her brother, "Lucas, are you okay?"

He nodded blankly, Y/N's eyes widened when she saw a drop of blood on his face. She brought a shaky finger up and quickly wiped it off. 

"Lucas!" 

The siblings were brought out of their stupor by the sound of the young De Rune's voice. 

Y/N stood up and watched as Lucas kneeled down to talk to Hugo. 

Amicia placed a gentle hand on Y/N's shoulder and gave her a knowing look, "You did what you had to do." 

Y/N looked around at the group, "Let's go before any more people show up."

Mélie nodded, "I second that idea. Let's get to the aqueducts."

With those final words, the group decided to continue their journey to the castle. 

🐀

"Where's the door?" 

The group stared at the tall hedges. They had followed the aqueducts and found themselves in front of no door and more importantly no castle.  It didn't make sense, why would Laurentius send Lucas on a wild goose chase? 

Amicia frowned at the boy, "Lucas don't tell me we've done all of this for nothing." 

The brunette shook his head. "No. no," he stared at the dead end, "Laurentius is smarter than that."

Y/N tilted her head to the side, "Maybe the door is secret?" she guessed. "It's holding important artifacts, so it's only normal that they hide it well." 

Lucas perked up, "Laurentius! He told me something about the door." 

 "What did he say?" Mellie asked him. 

"'Gold is born from lead,'" he paced around, "'The door shall only reveal itself to those who hold the key.'"

Mélie walked over to the hedge and pulled it open, "I prefer the phrase, 'use your eyes before opening your mouth.'"

Amicia and Hugo went through the small passageway first, followed by Y/N and Lucas, Mélie came through last and closed the door behind her. The group entered a cave. 

The cave was large and dark, it had an ethereal appearance and looked like the definition of magical. Hugo's eyes widened at the sight, "Is that... the sea?" the young child asked looking up at his sister with hopeful eyes. 

Lucas answered him, "No, that is water that has been collected in the cave." 

"Oh," Hugo mumbled sadly. 

She was confused, had the boy never seen the ocean before? Where did the De Rune siblings come from?

The group continued farther into the cave, Amicia and Lucas picking up resources along the way. They eventually came up to a boat pulled by a rope, it seemed like two people would have to pull it across.

"I'll stay with Mélie and pull it across," Y/N volunteered she watched as Amicia, Hugo, and Lucas climbed into the small boat before she started pulling. 

Mélie and Y/N began talking, "Where are you going to go after we find the castle?" Y/N asked Mélie.

"I'm going to look for Arthur, he can't be very far," she hissed as she pulled harder, "What about you?"

Y/N movements stuttered, "I... I'm not sure. I would like to go home but with the rats, it's not safe," she looked at Lucas who was laughing with Amicia and Hugo. "And Lucas seems happy with them, it wouldn't hurt to stay."

Lucas, Hugo, and Amicia got out of the boat and walked over to the other pull system. Mélie and Y/N let go of theirs and watched as the boat came back to them. 

Mélie and Y/N got into the boat and crossed the river. When they went into the other room they were met with a pit of rats and a brazier. Amicia and Lucas solved the puzzle and the group continued on.

"That was an interesting puzzle, this castle couldn't have been made in a week. How did they know about rats?" Y/N asked aloud as the group walked to the castle that was in sight. 

Lucas nodded, "What if the rats have been here longer than we thought?" 

Mélie raised her eyebrow, "This has happened before?"

The group walked into the castle and started to get settled in. 

🐀

Y/N threw some Luminosa into the fireplace and watched the room light up, "This place should be safe, it's mostly made of stone," she looked at Amicia. "I'm going to look for some blankets, I'll be back soon."

"Okay!" 

The girl went up the stairs and started to search for some blankets, she opened the door to a large room. She smiled when she saw the large duvet. She patted the bed and coughed when dust clouded her nose. 

She continued to walk around looking for more blankets, after finding enough she made her way back down to the room with the fireplace. She laid down the pile, "It's pitch black. Exploring any further would be dangerous."

Y/N sat down by the fire next to her brother, watching the golden embers. This would have to be their home for the night.