Chapter 37

I SHOT UP, GLANCING at everyone. “Gotta run. See—there’s—gotta dance. I just love this song. Bye!” I ignored their confused expressions and walked onto the dance floor.

It was darker there, and I felt the rhythm against my chest. Dipping and swaying, I raised my arms and danced my way to where Hannah and her partner were. Hannah’s eyes were closed as she nuzzled the side of his neck.

I tapped the man on the shoulder. His mouth fell open in surprise and then pleasure. “Well, hello.”

“Hi,” I said with a sultry gaze. He was just the type I knew how to get past. “Mind if I borrow your partner for a while? You can watch.”

His eyes lit up and he stepped away. Hannah stumbled at his sudden absence. I grabbed her waist and steadied her, and didn’t let go. She didn’t bat an eyelash; rather, she kept the rhythm as if she hadn’t traded partners.

We danced, and stared deep in each other’s eyes. What secrets was she hiding? What lies had she told me?

Finally, I spoke. “You’re not Daddy’s little girl at all. And you were never betrayed.”

Her face still stayed hidden behind a mask, but I saw a flicker of anger in her eyes.

“I’d swear on my father’s grave that you aren’t Hank Williams’ daughter,” I said, and then whispered in her ear. “Everything you have is a lie.”

The song pulsed louder and I turned my back to her, rocking to the beat. When I turned around, she had stopped dancing.

“You’re quite brash,” she said above the music. She frowned and lowered her chin. Speaking in a low voice so I had to lean in to hear, she said, “You shouldn’t have found that out, Sarah. And you certainly shouldn’t have told me.”

Was that a threat? Anger flooded through me and I gritted my teeth. “All houses built on lies will crumble,” I said. “You’d better be clear of it when it does.”

She shook her head slowly, as if I’d just said the most preposterous thing in the world. “Nothing is going to crumble, Sarah.” She kept saying my name and I didn’t like it. She grabbed my arm and pulled me to her, hard. “You’ll be broken.” And she kissed me on the cheek.

An involuntary shudder rippled through me. I was speechless.

She sauntered away, grabbing her male friend’s hand, and went for the door. I stood in the middle of the happy, dancing crowd. I think I’d just been handed my ass on a plate.

By the time I regained my composure, she was already out the door and had her phone to her ear. I took off after her.

The cool night air felt good on my hot skin. I took a deep breath and looked around. There wasn’t a car in sight. Suddenly, a blue Ferrari peeled out of the club’s driveway. I squinted, looking for a license plate number. Dang! It was too dark to see. But then they passed under a streetlight, and I saw UVF 615.

Walking back, I whispered the license to myself over and over so I wouldn’t forget. Once inside, I asked the nearest waiter for a pen, and then wrote on my hand.

I had a feeling that wasn’t going to be my last talk with Hannah Williams. Our dance had only just begun.