Chapter 4

THE JUDGE PUT HIS hands together in a prayerful position and said mournfully, “Because Joel McFay completed all of the DNA evidence for the case, none of it can be used as evidence.” He sighed. I had a feeling behind his morose attitude he was enjoying the drama. “In light of this recent setback, I will allow you to convene another day, if you so choose.”

“No, thank you, your Honor,” Sawyer said quickly. “We don’t want to reschedule.” He looked down to where Williams sat, and nodded. Williams looked at me. His eyes glistened with pleasure.

I shuffled my papers, picked up my pen, and then set it down again, thinking hard. Dan’s eyes were boring into the side of my face, but I didn’t meet them. I knew what he would say: wait. But the murder had taken place eleven months ago. The thought of Williams getting away another week set me on edge. There was enough evidence to convict him, I knew it. The witness would seal the deal for us.

Raising my eyes to the judge, I copied Sawyer word for word. “No, thank you, your Honor. We don’t want to reschedule.”

It was as if the room audibly sighed. Everyone hated delays.

Dan Butler sat on my left with the intern, Joshua, who took notes and tried not to look nervous. Dan was there for support and to make sure I didn’t screw up. I hated being babysat, but being a newbie came with its baggage. Mine was Dan. He would only sit in on high profile cases, and this being the biggest case of the year, it was understandable he was keeping a close eye on me. I knew I was a Cinderella figure. Sure, I was riding in the carriage now. But I was one mistake away from landing on my butt on the curb with pumpkin all over my dress.